Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Give me chance Guys Pls Comment!!!

GGgirlGGGGgirlGG Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited December 2011 in International Students
It is my great pleasure to introduce myself. My name is Eve. I am Asian girl and I have the Government Scholarship. I am applying to the some universities with English as secondary language program. But I don't know whether these schools admit or not me with both English Program and bachelor's degree program.

My sat scores are math2-800, physic-730 and sat test-1610, and I am awardee of bronze medal 51st IMO and gold medal in National Mathematical Olympiad. But I think that my English is not good to enroll in these schools this year and my parent’s income is not enough to pay for attending in schools' English program and universities' payment. And only If I get acceptance to enroll world top universities , I can get government scholarship.

Will it be possible for me to get acceptance to enroll in an university's English Program then directly enroll it?

I hope hearing you soon
Sincerely yours, Eve :)
Post edited by GGgirlGG on

Replies to: Give me chance Guys Pls Comment!!!

• GGgirlGGGGgirlGG Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    U Pennsylvania, Rice, U of Michigan
    Colorado College, Hamilton College, Smith College what do u suggest me? I really want do study in one of these schools. If u have any other suggestion, tell me :)
  • DarthSpawnusDarthSpawnus Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    You are a female and an IMO medalist?
    I would say retake the January SAT and try improving your score to at least 2050.
    Meanwhile write some solid and interesting essays and you can get into each and every one of those schools.

I don't know about any place that offers what you want. What exactly do you mean by an "English program" ? Is it like a course to enrich your language skills?

BTW I am just curious, what is your prospective major?
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,443 Senior Member
    Being only good in math is not going to get you in the top schools. All the top schools do not have ESL program, they require you have good commend in English before they will admit you. From what you wrote above, you seriously need to brush up in English before they will accept you. I can imagin your SAT is 800M 400R 400W to come up the 1600 range, and your TOEFEL scores cannot be much higher. Most top schools require at least 100 in computer based TOEFEL before they will accept you. There are language schools in the USA which you can attend to bring up your English level and SAT scores. Do a Google search and you will find some, but sadly, the schools in the USA are expensive. Perhaps you can acquire the same thing in your home country and try the tests again.

good luck.
  • DarthSpawnusDarthSpawnus Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    ^ being good at math and winning at IMO are two different things.

However I completely agree with artloverplus's statement. I did some research and none of your schools have English as second language program. Which is why you need to get good scores in SAT and TOEFL to get accepted.
  • visualprincevisualprince Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Well, it's just as most said. I'm Asian as well but I do know a bit about the American system and really, most good unis especially the ones you mentioned used English as a first language. What I think you mean is that your English isn't the best?

I suggest you at the very least try out IELTS, I do know it's more Asian friendly and most American universities still take it into consideration.

If you're good at Math perhaps you would be seeking a major in Mathematics?
This discussion has been closed.