Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A levels and the US

Abcd3f3Abcd3f3 Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
edited May 2012 in International Students
Are As and A*s seen as different grades in the US? As in do they actually make a difference to your application? Cos I've heard in the US they are seen as the same thing. Please help? I mean like would 4A's be a huge disadvantage compared to 4 A*s? I'm planning on applying as a sophomore transfer student so I wanna know if A* will make a huge difference from an A. Thanks!
Post edited by Abcd3f3 on

Replies to: A levels and the US

• b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,171 Senior Member
    Nobody here has worked in an admissions office. In other words: we don't know what admissions officers think about A's vs A*'s.

What I can tell you is this: Your college grades will be weighed much more heavily than your high school grades or A-level results. (Please note that American colleges normally want to see your high school grades in addition to your A-level results.)
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,250 Senior Member
    Hmmm.... can you explain what A* is?
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,171 Senior Member
    It's essentially an A+. (Awarded for an overall grade of A on the AS+A2 exams, with A+ performance on the A2 exam.)
  • RoughERoughE Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    I asked this exact question to some admission counselors in a college fair, and all of them replied that they don't differentiate between A* and A in A levels.

Also, for international students, the A level results are sometimes more important than high school scores. I talked with admission counselors from Tufts and Colgate, and both said that they place more emphasis on A level grades. This is because some schools, such as mine, use school exams as a preparatory test for the actual A level exam. Hence questions are much harder and grading quite harsh, and is often not a true reflection of a student's abilities. Try and include an explanation from your counselor about what your school's exam policies are..
This discussion has been closed.