Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How difficult to get into Ivies as an Irish male?

fitzy414fitzy414 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited June 2012 in International Students
My question is simply the level of difficulty applied to getting into an Ivy as a caucasian Irish male? I acknowledge that asians are a ORM and thus have a more difficult process of entry but as an Irish male would they look upon me as a URM Irish citizen or an ORM caucasian? Also I have received an All-Star (Irish MVP) at national level golf but am not recruited. Will this help?
Thanks very much for taking the opportunity to give my query your time,
Ciaran.
Post edited by fitzy414 on

Replies to: How difficult to get into Ivies as an Irish male?

• Ana1Ana1 Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    Asians, URM and any other race or ethnicity is only for US citizens and permanent residents. A citizen of China, India, Japan, etc, are not being counted in the number of Asian students. They belong only to the ~10% of the class that comprises the internationals. Look at the class profile for this and previous years at the schools that you want to apply and you will get an idea of the number of students+-1 that each school will accept from your country.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,363 Senior Member
    Also I have received an All-Star (Irish MVP) at national level golf but am not recruited. Will this help?
    The tippy top American colleges generally admit students who are accomplished outside of the classroom as well as inside. Your extra-curricular distinction makes you admit-able, but it's nowhere near a big deal as if a coach wanted to have you on his team. Ivies reject a large majority of their qualified applicants.
  • stayposistayposi Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    I am a fellow Irish student. I will be attending a very prestigious and well known university in the US this autumn. From my experience, if you have very good grades since first year, you take the most challenging subjects you can at higher level, and you have good extra-curriculars (which you seem to) then you have a good chance. People on this site are very willing to tell you that you won't get in unless you can pay the $250,000 no matter how awesome you are. Well, I got in and got a full scholarship. I hope this helps or inspires you in some way.
This discussion has been closed.