This is what I posted on the chances forum 5 minutes ago, any help would be appreciated :)
I've been on CC for a while now, but this is my first post.
I've read lots of chance threads (obsessively) but I just had to start one of my own.
So here are my stats :
SAT Reasoning : 2210 ( CR-740, M-790,W-680)
SAT Subject Tests : Maths II- 760, Chem- 790, Phy - 790
High School Record
In India, schools don't follow the GPA system, we have %
Grade 9 : 96 % Rank: 1/200
Grade 10 : 96% [ National Board Exam (ICSE) ]
Transferred to a new school, one of the most competitive in the country.
Grade 11 : Courses -
Maths - A
Chem - B
Phy - A
Eng. Graphics- A
Top 1-2% of class
Grade 12 -
Fell ill during the mid-terms, got 2 B's, Top 15% of class
Will bring grades up this month.
I am also preparing for the IIT-JEE, supposedly the toughest exam in the world, and I have classes 7 days a week, and not much time for anything else.
TOEFL score - 113
· Won the shield for The Best Outgoing Student of Christ Church School in 2011 for
excellence in academics and extracurricular activities. This shield is awarded to the
best graduating student.
· Was awarded the Aditi Savla Memorial trophy for Academic Excellence in Std. IX
(2010). This is the only trophy awarded to students, for academic excellence.
· Constantly won the 1st Prize in General Proficiency and PTA Award for excellence
in Academics in the years 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
PTA Awards are awarded to the best student in a batch of 200 students.
· Besides General Proficiency, have regularly won Class Prizes for various subjects like
Mathematics, Science, Environmental studies, Technical Drawing Applications,
English, Hindi in 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2011.
· May-June 2011 : In collaboration with a prominent agro-based manufacturer,
worked on initiating a model rural farming project, incorporating sustainable
agricultural practices. Aim was to utilize wastewater and other released industrial waste material in creating a green environment.We also carried out green-house
farming using eco-friendly methods.I was closely involved during the planning and
· December 2011 : In collaboration with a prominent environmental laboratory,
volunteered as a Trainee Project Coordinator for a project mandated by the
Government of Maharashtra State for the planning of environmental policies.
Helped with the compilation of data, analysis and in the preparation of the report.
Interacted with technical experts.
· May 2010 : Participated in EUMIND Exchange programme. Was awarded
Certficate of Appreciation for Collaborative Work and Team Research done
during the Exchange trip to Belgium and the Netherlands .
· Hosted Dutch exchange students in 2009 and Belgian exchange students in
November 2010, for EuMind as part of collaborative work and team research.
· As member and President of Interact Club and Junior Red Cross Society of the
School, participated in various community service programmes like visiting childrens
wards in Cancer Hospitals , organizing entertainment for inmates of Old Age homes,
helping out in homes for the mentally differently abled , holding Peace Marches for
communal unity, organizing fundraisers for flood/drought relief etc.
· Association with Shri Satguru Seva Trust-a charitable trust working in rural
areas of India being part of their food distribution to poor villages , in their hospital
and in setting up libraries for the schools set up for rural children.
· Lions International Club Participated in their drives regarding Tree Plantation
and Environmental Awareness and their Annual Organ Donation Camp in
· Certificate of Appreciation for fundraising , issued by National Association For the
Blind, India in 2006-07.
· In 2010, was appreciated by Helpage India for contribution in creating awareness
and assisting in raising funds for the care of the elderly, irrespective of race, religion,
caste or creed.
· As a Girl Scout for 8 years in school, volunteered for more than 200 hours of
· In 2010, was elected as the School President, of the Interact Club, Christ Church
· Judged as the Best Interactor 2010-2011 , for active participation and leadership.
· Was elected as Sergeant-of-Arms and Director of the Interact Club in 2008 and
2009 respectively, for active participation in the club.
· Was an active patrol leader of Girl Guides in school. Won several prizes and gold
medals at state level competitions held by Scouts and Guides organization. In 2005,
was judged as the Best Bulbul (Junior Scout) in school.
· Won the 3rd prize in India in Essay writing competition conducted by
schoolsindia.com under the aegis of HOPE (Home for Orphan Poor & Education) in
· Secured 6th position in India and scored 90% marks in the 51st Annual All India
UN Information Test conducted by Council for UN Information, a wing of United
Schools Organisation of India in 2008.
· Secured 4th rank in Interschool (district level) Championship in 2008-09 conducted
by MAARS International Spelling Bee and qualified for State level. Was the winner at
· Won the 3rd Prize in District level Competition of MAARS International
Spelling Bee for the year 2007-08 and was selected to represent school at State
· Have written regularly in the Annual School Souvenir and have had three articles
published in a leading national newspaper.
· Have been part of editorial team for a leading National Newspaper (For
· Won the Kala Bala Merit Award Certificate in the 6th All India Child & Youth Art
Exhibition 2006 organised by the Viswa Kala Darshini Educational & Youth
Welfare Society at Rajahmundry.
· Won the singles and doubles tournaments in Table Tennis conducted by
Railway Officers Association in 2008. Also played State level Table Tennis
· Won the Certificate of Merit for Best Entry in Group in All India Camel Colour
Contest 2002 conducted by Camlin India.
· Won the Sharada Ratna Award (Gold medal) in Inter School painting contest
organized by Rang Sharada in 2005-06,2006-07 & 2007-08.
· In 2011, was elected as the School Prefect and was a member of the Student
· Was an active member of the Junior Red Cross Society of the school.Oraganised a
number of events like Peace Rallies, Canteen Days, Newspaper and Toy collection
.Volunteered at several orphanages and old-age homes.
· Participated in 2005-2009 in the schools annual cultural function Spectrum - as
part of the dramatics club.
· Participated and won prizes at several Inter-School Festivals Cascades, We Are
The World, Sanskriti , Rochak to name a few.
· Helped organise Christ Church Schools very own inter-school fest Rochak.
· Helped organise RN Podars interschool fest Panache - and intraschool fest Drishtikon.
Apart from these, have won several intra-school elocutions, quizzes, writing competitions, sports etc.
· In 2011-12, won the bronze certificate in Hypatia-International Maths and
Computational Event organized by University of Waterloo, Canada.
· Been the School Topper in several other national and international olympiads (don't want to list them here)
· Awarded distinction in Fermat International Maths Exam organized by the
University of Waterloo, Canada.
Essays : Good to Great
Recommendations : Excellent
My only worries are my senior year mid-terms grades, and that the Adcoms don't know about the stiff competition in my class ( Best students from all over the country)
Also, in India, EC activities are hard to come by, especially in the school I'm in presently.
Academic success is the only focus.
Schools I am applying to :
1. University of Pennsylvania ED
2. Cornell University
3. U of Wisconsin - Madison
5. Texas A & M
6. Purdue U
7. U of Minnesota - TC
8. Ohio State University
9. Virginia Tech
10. North Carolina State University
I have two questions :
1. What are my chances at these universities?
2. Could you'll please suggest some good engineering schools that give international students substantial aid/scholarships?
Ah yes, I'm going to be applying for financial aid everywhere, though I'm aware that'll greatly lower my chances of getting accepted.