Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

English/UK Maths vs American courses

highland_poppyhighland_poppy Registered User Posts: 497 Member
I've been curious about this for a while and was wondering if someone could explain this to me.

I'm from the UK, specifically Scotland. In our secondary schools, we take classes just named 'Mathematics'. A variety of topics are contained within each year/exam course of study. The standard is denoted by the examination level which is straightforward for me being local.

American HS students and those at American style schools seem to cover a single area of mathematics each year e.g. Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-calc/Trig, Calculus.

From what I remember of (Scottish) Higher maths, we did trig plus algebra plus calculus (although my brain flatlined around about straight line graphs...) during the same academic year. Another year of maths was available but not with my grade (or lack of interest).

How does the one year, one topic set-up work?
This discussion has been closed.