Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How can I play football at an American University?

adrielmoraes23adrielmoraes23 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited November 2013 in International Students
I'm from S
Post edited by adrielmoraes23 on

Replies to: How can I play football at an American University?

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,056 Senior Member
    Find DII and DIII schools (depending on your academic credentials: typically, DII is lower credentials, DIII is academic-oriented; DII requires you to register with NCAA) plus NAIA : Football - News - NAIA - National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
    Fill out the "prospective recruit" questionnaires on your sport's page and see if any coach is interested.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,683 Forum Champion
    There are some schools where you could be a walk-on and try-out.

If you're looking for football scholarship money, that's not likely. The Div I and Div II schools with scholarships are looking for bigger players. 5' 10 is often the shortest a scholarship player is going to be.

However, if your family will pay, then find some schools that will let you walk-on and try-out. How much will your family pay?
  • adrielmoraes23adrielmoraes23 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    My family can afford $ 25,000 to $ 30,000 per year to college in U.S. Could you tell me some schools that offer walk-on and/or try-outs for international students, in that price range?
    Click on the link I gave you above, and type in NCAA football Div III, than look for schools that are lower-ranked for football (if you want to play, as an international kid, you'd better be part of a lower-ranked team than a top team that keeps you on the bench.)
  • adrielmoraes23adrielmoraes23 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thanks!
    I will start my registration for eligibility and fill the recruitment forms of some schools in this list.
    And, for example if I start playing for a smaller school such as DIII or NAIA, and play very well, I have any chance of getting me to transfer to a bigger school from DI, like Michigan State University? (My favorite, I'm a spartan fan hehe).
    You don't need to register for eligibility at D3 schools. You do need to do that for D2.
    D2 schools tend to be directional universities (not very good academically but okay overall). You are required to score 820 on your SAT (CR+M combined).
    D3 are very diverse, it goes from the academic powerhouse to the smaller national LACs.
    NAIA are small schools, they're less competitive than D3 both athletically and academically.
    There's no way you could transfer to a D1 school no matter how you play because you're 5'7.
This discussion has been closed.