Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

pre med in usa

2»

Replies to: pre med in usa

• artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    There is a fundamental problem for internationals try for medical schools in the US. Only very few internationals can get in to US med schools at full cost without financial aids. My advise is do not do pre med if the intent is to go to med school. attend a med school in your country and immigrate to US to be a doctor, its lot easier.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,341 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Is it true that AmericanAmerican med school have almost no international students.!!
    Isn't it only based on MCAT scores..and GPA
    Yes, it is true that there are very few international students in American medical schools. The reason is that very few international students have the money & think it is a good investment to pay for medical school in the US.

There are many foreign physicians in the US though. It's easy to immigrate and get licensed as a physician in the US with a foreign medical degree. Since a medical education is MUCH cheaper in most other countries (and shorter as well, since you don't need to get an unrelated Bachelor's degree first), most aspiring physicians will get their medical education elsewhere.

FWIW, some American medical schools require that international students pre-pay all 4 years of tuition and living expenses before they'll issue the visa documents. The money is kept in an escrow account. If you quit medical school and lease the US, the un-used funds would be returned to you. Many more medical schools require that you deposit 1-2 years of funds (tuition + living expenses) into an escrow account before you can enroll.

Honestly, if your funding is limited to about $25K/year, your odds of being able to attend medical school in the US are close to zero. Why don't you investigate medical school options in other countries?
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Are you wanting to do both undergrad and med school in the US? Are you hoping to practice in the US as well? Do you mind saying why you want to go this route? The path for becoming a physician here seems quite different than elsewhere, as is the practice of medicine, and I am wondering why you would choose this one.
  • arnav779arnav779 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks a lot.!
    I thought about it...doing undergrad in usa and if possible... go to med school..but now seeing the stats.!its quite depressing.. So...maybe.I will have to either go for...biotech/clinical courses..or any other related stream...or consider country like Ireland with looks a decent option.as it takes direct admission in med school after +2 I guess.and the cost of living and tuition is also lesser in its prestigious universities (trinity, university..)
    What's your opinion.!?
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    Biotech is a more viable choice.
    There are two types of international UG students: One returns to home country, the other stays in US for further advanced study or employment.
    In US, biotech is a profession that needs advanced degrees. If OP is intended to stay in US for employment after UG or looking for advanced degree in US, it will be better off and cheaper to get an UG degree in his own country and apply for advanced degree in US, the financial aid is readily available at that level. Otherwise, with $25K budget, he will either get substantial scholarship with high stats or go to a school like U. of North Dakota with a COA less than 25K/year.
  • arnav779arnav779 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks.!
    I'm seriously considering Ireland/singapore
    Any1 knowing about the student life there will b of emmense help.!
    Will search abt it.! :|
    Is Canada any better.??
  • mcat2mcat2 Registered User Posts: 5,942 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Last time I read about it (year 2011?), there appears to be only about 117 international students who matriculated into the first year class of US med schools, even though the total number of med school students each year was like 29K (?) then.

There are more and more US med schools now. In the future, unless political climate is changed, it may become harder and harder for the students who are graduated from a foreign med school to apply and match into a residency program in US before they can practice medicine in US. But anything could be changed as long as the policy is changed. What happens in the Congress or even in the health insurance industry is more important than what happens at med school or hospital. Who knows what the health care system will be in 10 years.
2»
This discussion has been closed.