Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

pre med in usa

arnav779arnav779 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited August 2014 in International Students
Guys,
Im an international student planning to go for pre med in usa which college would be the best.average high school grades,hav'nt given SAT. budget-25k any scholarships.?
Please help
Thanks

Replies to: pre med in usa

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,321 Senior Member
    There is no such thing as pre med. To get into medical school you must complete a series of science/math courses but you can study anything you want.

Are you aware that American medical schools admit almost no international students?

At a $25,000 per year budget, you would need considerable financial aid. With average high school grades that is unlikely.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,364 Senior Member
    With that budget you wouldn't be able to afford medical school in the US. (Colleges are relatively generous with scholarships and such, but you would have to pay completely out of pocket for medical school.)

Your better option would be to complete medical school in a different country and then come to the US for residency. There's a well-established path for foreign-educated medical studdents to obtain a medical license in the US and immigrate to work as physicians here.
  • artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 8,443 Senior Member
    Please search this topic on the pre-med forum in CC.

If you get a government sponsored scholarship from your country, it is easily done. Otherwise you have to prepare to pay upwards $600K minimum in total COA from UG to Med School in the US as an international. That is if you passed every thing along the way.
  • arnav779arnav779 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks!
    BTW I was planning to take pre med programme with majors in biomedical sciences.since my budget of (25k per year) would not be sufficient What is the minimum SAT score to get a scholarship in a decent state university for undergrad?
    Is it true that AmericanAmerican med school have almost no international students.!!
    Isn't it only based on MCAT scores..and GPA
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Look at University of Alabama:
    http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.html
    Presidential Scholar
    A first-time freshman student who meets the December 15 scholarship priority deadline, has a 32–36 ACT or 1400–1600 SAT score (critical reading and math scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive the value of tuition or $99,800 over four years ($24,950 per year).

This full-tuition scholarship is AUTOMATIC if you have the scores, and it's open to int'l students. Here's a thread started by an Aussie student:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1668107-ua-presidential-scholarship-questions-p1.html
    Thanks ;)
    You can thank me w a "Like"
    edited August 2014
    Sure.!!
    Indeed very helpful..will search more about it.!
    But...it says..deadline is Dec 15 .I want to apply for spring session.
    My SAT is on oct 11 .Is their any importance of SAT 2 for me.?
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,409 Senior Member
    FYI: state universities don't give need based scholarships to OOs students because the schools are funded by state taxes and preferences go to state residents whose parents pay those taxes.
    Plz Check out this site-
    www.studywithscholarship.com
    Is it OK to register with it.!!?
    Thanks
    edited August 2014
    Their list includes many state universities including illinois,Florida,Texas,north Dakota
    Also Elizabethtown, chatham,Wisconsin etc.
    The Alabama application is just SAT or ACT scores, and GPA. No other test. No ECs. No teachers rec. Takes 10 min to fill out the application. If you meet the numbers, the scholarship is automatic.
    is it good?? i mean for biology/ med. preparation
    The biggest advocate on CC for Alabama is @mom2collegekids. She has 2 kids who graduated from Bama and are in med school.

FYI
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/

ok thanks a lot!
This discussion has been closed.