Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Tours for International (Prospective) Students

bananapancakesyobananapancakesyo Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hi, I did a bit of research about college tours on the East coast and I found a lot, but in all of them you either couldn't apply individually or it wasn't open for international students.. I know that colleges offer tours, but for some one traveling alone, it would be easier if it was something already organized. Does anyone know of something of sorts?

Replies to: College Tours for International (Prospective) Students

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,057 Senior Member
    Are you referring to multi campus tours with a group?
  • bananapancakesyobananapancakesyo Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
  • livinginLAlivinginLA Registered User Posts: 453 Member
    I just did a quick google search and there do appear to be a couple of companies that organize college tours. I have not personally known anyone to use them though.
    @livinginLA I found companies that organize college tours as well, but after contacting them, they answered either saying that they didn't accept individual students (so only pre-made groups, like schools and such), or that it was a program only available for national students
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,153 Senior Member
    That is probably because these tours don't want to take on responsibility for individual underage students.
    @lostaccount True, hadn't thought about that..

By the way, any other suggestions on how I could organize this are very welcome!
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,561 Senior Member
    How about signing up for a summer program at, for example, Princeton, and then visiting other northeast campuses on weekends?
    @katliamom That's a good idea, but it ends up very costly, and between paying for the summer program vs paying for another plane ticket that would solve the whole issue, the ticket would be cheaper still.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,561 Senior Member
    Sadly, everything about going to college in America revolves around money!
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,914 Senior Member
    Actually a number of those summer programs- esp in the mid-atlantic /northeast include college visits in their programs. I know that the Summer Discovery group does, and would be pretty sure that others do as well. They also offer SAT prep, and in some courses AP for specific classes (related to the subject).

Two plane tickets and a rental car/some train tickets would still be cheaper, though, if you can get a parent/aunt/etc to come with you- and there are a load of people here who will help you plan out how to maximize your college visit routing.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,377 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    To be honest, campus tours are not very informative. A general tour would only show and tell you stuff that you can also find on the college website.

If there are particular things you would like to find out, visiting in person and going off tour would allow you to do more detective work: Maybe you're a competitive athlete and you want to know how busy and pleasant the gym is. Maybe you are very concerned about how easy it is to take public transit from campus to the nearest city center. Maybe you'd like to interrogate a few current students about the particular academic program you are interested in.

If money wasn't a concern, I'd tell you to go ahead and tour all you want. But since you do seem to be concerned about money, there might be a cheaper way to get the information you want from a distance.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,377 Senior Member
    Btw, if you're under 18, you absolutely need to have an adult with you. You won't be able to book a hotel room or get a rental car without one.
    @[email protected]!um Thanks for the tips, really helped!! Regarding the 'under 18' part, I am; I'm a junior student and thinking of applying next year to some US universities. I recently won a plane ticket to Boston and found it was a great opportunity to visit some of the colleges I was interested in. The problem is the plane ticket is only for one person, and best case scenario would be to have another person with me (i.e. an adult), but that would mean the costs of accommodation, food, transport, would double, plus the additional plane ticket.

I was basically trying to find the cheapest option possible, but something that would be worth it in terms of visit.
This discussion has been closed.