Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is university ranking an influential factor in employability?

ilovemusic101ilovemusic101 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
Since there are so many university rankings out there and I believe a lot of students, myself included, look at the university rankings to determine which one will probably land them better jobs in the future, I kind of wonder do employers looks at our university rankings too when they need to hire employees?

As the title says, is university ranking an influential factor in employability?

Replies to: Is university ranking an influential factor in employability?

• katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,565 Senior Member
    It depends on the field. In some, like computer science, your abilities count more than your diploma. In others, like selective Wall Street jobs or prestigious law firms, university ranking is more important.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,917 Senior Member
    Employers don't parse the rankings as carefully as parents & students do- for a start, they don't have the time! Think of it more in bands or tiers of colleges. For example:

=>super-famous names (either the university, or a school within the university) will either open the door ('feeder schools') or get the person reading the application to slow down a bit and give it a closer look.

=> for some professions, how strong the reputation is for the program / major can make a significant difference- including putting a state university ahead of an Ivy in an employers view.

=> simple human nature plays more of a role than you would probably like to think: has the employer heard of the school, and if so what are the employer's associations with the school? An employer who came through the college process when Flavor of the Month LAC had a 60% admit rate- not the 15% rate it has now- may not think much of the college. The employer's (and their kid's) experiences of a college may color how they rate it as much as anything.

=> not counting the above, in most cases what you actually achieve in college will matter much much more. So the woman who just graduated from GWU with super internships beat out an applicant from Harvard for the job.

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,893 Senior Member
    The only ranking that matters for international students, is what employers in their own countries think. You need to plan for when you return home after completing your education and any paid work experience here (usually limited to 12 months) after completing your degree.
    Good catch, @happymom- I missed that the OP is international.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,617 Senior Member
    I agree with @happymomof1, you need to research in your country how employable you would be with a US degree in your country.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 5,114 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    But how can one do that? @aunt bea
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,893 Senior Member
    @paul2752 - Most international applicants have parents and other adult relatives who have friends and professional contacts who know even more people, and someone within this extended network is likely to know someone who knows someone who knows about job hiring for the specific career in question. Very few international applicants are so entirely bereft of contacts as to have absolutely no way to access this kind of information.
    What are the major employers in your country? Start there. Then look to smaller companies.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,186 Senior Member
    US employers don't know rankings and typically don't care. They care about what you did with the opportunities offered to you.
    Most top 25-30 LACs and universities will offer the same typebof opportunities to their students. Most universities and LACs in the top 50-60 will offer the same opportunities. Etc... Then, it's up to you.
    OP is international.
  • ilovemusic101ilovemusic101 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Hello, I don't plan on returning back to Indonesia if i could find a decent job in Europe/US/other countries because the starting wage here is awful.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,186 Senior Member
    Well, it's *very hard* for qualified internationals to get a visa (the system has been taken over by sham groups that use offshoring... which leaves very very few H1Bs for legit graduates from US colleges).
    You have better chances in Europe and Canada.
    Maybe Canada, esp if your family has the money to invest, but Europe isn't any more welcoming to internationals looking for jobs than the US.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    I don't plan on returning back to Indonesia if i could find a decent job in Europe/US/other countries because the starting wage here is awful.

As a new college graduate with only a bachelor's degree and no real work experience, getting a work visa is unlikely.

• b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,378 Senior Member
    Most international students who wish to stay in the US will go to graduate school after college. The H-1B work visa process is not kind to fresh college graduates, nor to employers who wish to hire them. (You'd literally have to win a lottery for your work visa application to get processed at all. And how many employers wish to play a lottery for a foreigner instead of just hiring an American citizen?)

The safest route to immigration to the US is through marriage to a US citizen.

Canada is a lot more welcoming to young professionals.

That all being said, yes, the few H-1B sponsoring entry-level jobs that exist for international students seem to be sensitive to the prestige of the university. You'll have much better odds of at least getting an interview with a degree from Stanford or Berkeley, than a degree from San Jose State.
This discussion has been closed.