Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

French Dual Citizen looking for grad school

frenchemiliefrenchemilie Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I've looked pretty much everyone online and can't seem to find any resources. I'm an American/French dual citizen and am currently studying at a private undergrad university in DC. I've lived in the US most of my life, however I'm fluent in French and have dual citizenship since my mother was born there.

I am interested in potentially taking advantage of my citizenship to attend graduate school in France for public health or a related topic. I have absolutely no idea how to go about researching this option or who to talk to about it. My French family have told me I would apply as a normal French citizen but I'm concerned about the language requirements and would rather be taught in English as my French is nowhere near where it would be for a normal French 21 year old.

Any tips or things I should look into?

Replies to: French Dual Citizen looking for grad school

  • alcibiadealcibiade Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    Regarding French, if you are already fluent, all you would need to study is the professional vocabulary, which is easily done. But I don't see the point of studying in France if you want a course in English.
  • frenchemiliefrenchemilie Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I want to study there because I would rather take advantage of the free/extremely subsidized system there than pay $60k+ a year for graduate school in the US when I would be paying for it myself. I love the country and have always dreamed of moving abroad one day.

    I wouldn't mind learning in French, just worried that my skills in writing would not be up to par with my peers in a normal French university. I guess the language doesn't matter, I just have no idea how to take advantage of my citizenship for this potential opportunity...
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,906 Senior Member
    Afaik the only Masters in Public Health taught in English in France is at Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sante Publique- Rennes:


    It's effectively free for French residents, but even for a non-resident* it's pretty cheap - tuition is about €5500K /pa (obviously not including room & board)

    *It's tax residency, not citizenship that determines your fee category. Citizenship does mean no visa though!

    Applications for Sept. are closed, so I hope you are looking for 2017-2018
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 1,055 Senior Member
    Another option might be the UK or Ireland. You would still be classed as an international for fees because, as collegemom3717 points out, fee status is based on residency, but it would be less than 60K. More expensive than France, but taught in English.

    You might like to look at the European Public health programme which is offered across 6 European countries; you can opt for it to be taught in English only, English and French (or with Spanish as well):
    You end up with masters from two countries.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,078 Senior Member
    THE city you want for that is Montpellier. Lots of research in that area, especially when related to epidemiology or developing countries.
    The other two big ones are
    You can also look at
This discussion has been closed.