Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Opportunity to work in the US - 2nd test


Replies to: Opportunity to work in the US - 2nd test

  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 10,116 Senior Member
    These aren't transfers.

    "Sorry, I thank each university has its speciality."

    In France, that's true. American unis can be strong in many areas.
  • ErtanXErtanX Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Uh! Thanks

    I wrote "problems for transferring" for McGill coz I don't know how can I write "go to make an exchange year issuing to a diploma" ...
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 11,364 Senior Member
    Again -- are you asking for advice on TRANSFERRING to a university, or simply doing a ONE YEAR EXCHANGE? There is a huge difference between the two!
  • DontknowmDontknowm Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited May 2017
    I hope you realize that those exchange programs are really competetive due to limited spaces. I go to university here in Sweden and the university I go to has an exchange program with Stanford too. My school do pay for the tuition tuition at Stanford though. At my school you need to have about a 3.8 GPA to be eligible for a spot at Stanford, but that's just the beginning. You also need to have an interview and perform good during it. If selected, you would be admitted to Stanford as a grad student where the first year of the MS degree is paid by the home university. If you would like to complete the MS degree at Stanford then you would have to pay for the second year by your own, if not then you just go back to the home university and complete the last year there. The agreement with Stanford your school have seems to suck so I would not consider it.

    The other schools you listed are also very competitive to get a exchange spot at so don't expect it to be easy.

    This is what I would do in your situation. I guess you are admitted to a 5 year engineering program 3 + 2 BS + MS? That's equivalent to the civilingenjör program in Sweden. Take a bachelor degree after your first 3 years and then try to get into a relatively cheap US school for grad school and complete a MS degree there.
  • Helen13Helen13 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    So, you get to wear the cool uniform and the funny hat?

    Here's another option for a US master's degree in engineering. Do an online program. There are very reputable online programs from Duke, Georgia Institute of Technology, Colorado School of Mines, and many others.

    They are designed for working professionals. In the US, engineering majors are snapped up after their four year BS program, and often even start working for companies as undergraduates. Most don't bother with master's degrees, but for those that do, most work and have their employers pay the tuition (it's call tuition reimbursement; most large US companies offer it.)

    Get your degree, go to work, get a US master's online and have your employer pay for it, or fund it yourself.

    Don't want to do that? Need to study in the US and you need money to do it?

    Apply for PhD programs in the US. An engineering degree will admit you to all sorts of science PhDs: computer science, applied math, materials sciences, nanotech, biotech, physics. These programs are fully funded. Don't take admission to any program to any program that doesn't pay you as a research assistant (best) or teaching assistant (worst.)

    Want a nearly automatic admission and low cost of living? Look in the middle part of the country, and skip the coasts.

  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,464 Senior Member
    Unless l'X has a special agreement with a US University, you would need to spend more than a year to get your Master's degree there.
    My advice would be to pick the highest ranked international university that has a Cat.1 partnership where you can also develop cultural and linguistic fluency, complete your 4A abroad with the highest possible grades, prepare the GRE, and dlearly during 5A apply for a PHD at universities such as Stanford. You'll get a funded Master's degree and will get your 2-year opt then can resume your PhD or go back to France.
    Please keep in mind that in the US, the name of your school matters less than the way you used the opportunities it afforded you and what you've achieved yourself (research, product development, proven impact during internships, leadership and personal qualities..) as well as the good you've done (less so for a PhD, more so for an MBA).
Sign In or Register to comment.