Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

US Scholarships in the UK

gardnerm2000gardnerm2000 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
From what I have understand, the UK does not have scholarships like we do in the US, in the sense that in America there are thousands of third party organizations that offer scholarships whereas in Britain its exclusivly your uni and the britsh goverment supplying finacial aid. Am I correct on this? If so, how much, if any, aid should be expecting as a middleclass american(I would imagine id be competing with third world countries for scholarships and likly to lose that battle)? Additionally, if the american organization that awards me a scholarship simply gives me a check instead of sending the money directly to my university, would I have any trouble using that check for tuition or living expenses in the UK?

Replies to: US Scholarships in the UK

• VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 3,065 Senior Member
    You should expect no aid form your university or the British government.

There may be scholarships you can apply once you are admitted or after you are there for current students. Don't count on it.

If a local, US based org gives you a check, simply deposit it and use the money to pay tuition. Document your expenditures in case you are audited. Document use of student loans and 529 plans as well.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    your uni and the british government supplying financial aid<<<<<<

No, it is loan funded.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/education-40493658
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,906 Senior Member
    Also be aware that if you need a visa (ie, you are not a UK or EU citizen) you will have to demonstrate that you have the funds needed to pay for tuition/room/board for the year before the visa will be granted.
    All we had to do with state on the visa app that we had enough to pay for her tuition and living expenses. We didn't have to provide actual proof.
    edited July 2017
    Really, US kids who look seriously at UK schools have the budget, it isn't something that people who would need FA would bother with. I suspect the UK can and does ask for verification, it might happen on entry to the UK when in immigration, not even at visa time, or it might be in a background check in the visa process.
    No. We don't need to bring bank statements when we fly over in September. She has her visa. If they had doubts they would have asked for additional documentation during that process. I assume ahe looked low risk as the visa was approved in 5 days.
    edited July 2017
    Immigration though, can just have you log on to your bank there and then if they have questions, it isn't something you get to plan. This applies to US/Canada/Aus also. Immigration in these countries have a lot of scope to see whatever they want. Whether or not that happens to you or I doesn't mean it is common enough.
    The visa reqs are very straightforward in that you have to answer that you can support yourself to be eligible. It actually leaves YOU on the hook though, not your kid.
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 Registered User Posts: 1,053 Senior Member
    That's interesting, @VickiSoCal - the official guidance is that you must provide proof of funds. I wonder why they didn't with you? Unless perhaps you had already provided it to the university?

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/documents-you-must-provide

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/623341/T4_Migrant_Guidance_29_June_2017.pdf
    St Andrews told us the exact verbiage to write on the form

‘Applying under the Differentiation Agreement as a low risk national. Evidence is not required but held by applicant’
This discussion has been closed.