Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do IB Scores matter for US colleges?

IronicBolshevik5IronicBolshevik5 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I'm an international student (Asian) taking the IB Diploma Program. Currently, I have quite decent GPA but I'm not sure how I'll do on IB finals (or the predicted score). So, the million dollar question that I couldn't get a straight answer to is this:

If I'm aiming for top colleges in the US (primarily Caltech), and if I have good GPA and ACT scores and okay enough EC, then does my predicted or final IB score matter if I mess it up big time? (hypothetically, of course. I'm still a year away from all that drama)

Replies to: Do IB Scores matter for US colleges?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,059 Super Moderator
    then does my predicted or final IB score matter
    No
    if I mess it up big time?
    Define "big time." If your predicted on a subject was 6 and your actual is a 5, it's fine. If your actual is a 2, then that's an issue. But it's unlikely that there will be that large a swing between predicted and actual, so don't worry about it.
  • IronicBolshevik5IronicBolshevik5 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Ah, thanks for clearing it up for me!
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,917 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    I wouldn't be so certain to say they absolutely don't matter. Under holistic admissions, it would depend.
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,609 Senior Member
    Ib scores just came out. Admissions decisions went out back in March. They don't matter at all.
This discussion has been closed.