Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I move forward or stand still even if I'm walking in the wrong direction

2»

Replies to: Should I move forward or stand still even if I'm walking in the wrong direction

• FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    contact them to say what exactly?
  • FeeeyyyiiiFeeeyyyiii Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Im just going to reapply again .. i dont really have a choice
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,617 Senior Member
    You do have a choice; there are other universities in other countries that you can apply to. You don't have to attend a university in the US. Why does it have to be a US university? Thousands of US students can't afford to attend colleges in the US, so they don't attend. You can't force something if you don't have the resources.

@aroundhere is absolutely correct:
    The visa requirements are not going to change. You will need to show sufficient financial resources to support yourself while you are in school. If the financial aid packages are not enough, you will need that money in the bank before you come. You generally cannot work for the money once you arrive in the US. (Some schools will give an on-campus work-study job for a portion of the amount you owe, but most employment would be illegal.)
    In addition to the banked money, you need to pay for your flights, personal expenses and health insurance.

If you apply to the same schools, you will get the same results. There is less and less money each year. As an international student, your chances of full rides in the US are extremely limited because the schools don't have excess money. Each year more and more international students apply with better statistics. You will be competing with those candidates.

Next year, do you want to be in the exact same position?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,199 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    @Feeeyyyiii
    Contact them to ask whether you can defer for a year, and start Fall 2018. Explain it's because the $10,000 your family was supposed to find hasn't been found, in part due to currency fluctuations that have made the US Dollar much more expensive to buy than when you applied.
    They should reply, either with a request with the new currency amounts, or with a deferral, or a request to reapply. YOU cannot decide that now. You MUST contact your admission counselor and the International adviser today (right now!)
    In addition, even universities that are tuition free such as in Germany or France will require you to show proof you can pay for your own room&board+books, and that's likely to be equivalent to $10,000 too.
    Finally, DO NOT ATTEND ANY COLLEGE, as an international transfer does not qualify for financial aid.

• MrduqueMrduque Registered User Posts: 342 Member
    What about looking for scholarships in your country's ministry of education? Or any country embassy? China is currently giving full rides for their colleges including those in the C9 league. I myself got one of those after being rejected from american colleges
2»
This discussion has been closed.