Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is my TOEFL ibt competitive enough?

Luis CarlosLuis Carlos Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I got a score of 103 in TOEFL iBT. My subscores were L: 29 R: 26 S: 22 Wr: 26. I am planning to apply to UCLA, MIT, Berkeley, Washington University, University of Michigan and other universities.

Replies to: Is my TOEFL ibt competitive enough?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 27,969 Super Moderator
    Is my TOEFL ibt competitive enough?
    Yes, anything 100+ is fine.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    On paper, 103 is enough but a balanced 110+ is definitely recommended for universities like MIT, Berkeley. You should retake it, if you have the time and if you are serious about top 30 university. If you are from populated Asian countries, such as China and India, you definitely need 110+
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,958 Senior Member
    ^Actually, TOEFL scores don't really matter once you've passed the threshold. It's a hurdle you have to pass and once it's done, the actual examination of your application begins.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 27,969 Super Moderator
    If you are from populated Asian countries, such as China and India, you definitely need 110+
    No you don't. @MYOS1634 is correct; once you hit the threshold, it does not matter.

It's like a drivers' license; nobody cares what score you got on the test, as long as you passed. When the cop is giving you a ticket, he won't care if you passed the driving test with a 100 or with a 70, because you're still getting the ticket.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,633 Senior Member
    edited October 13
    @WildChicken whoever told you such apocryphal information must have little knowledge about how US colleges handle international student admissions. TOEFL isn't like SAT. Toefl tests your ABILITY communicate in English, while SAT/ACT (are supposed to) test more complicated components such as critical reading and writings.