Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How many financial aid places do top US schools have for Asian countries?

sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 907 Member
I always see people looking for aid, and the replies are generally that it is really competitive. I would imagine there must be a tiny number of places, and the students who get those awards at like Harvard or MIT must have incredible qualifications, as well as personality, ECs, and whatever else US schools look for.

Replies to: How many financial aid places do top US schools have for Asian countries?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,468 Senior Member
    The trick is getting accepted: Harvard meets the 'full need' (that is, how much financial aid *they* believe that you need) of all accepted students.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 907 Member
    I don't believe that is true for internationals. My understanding is they have so many places for scholarship students by country or region. Also, for like many countries only a tiny percentage of the population would not need financial aid under Harvard's formula.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,468 Senior Member
    Harvard is need blind for both domestic and international applicants, so there is no way for them to have a set # of places by country or region. Obviously, there is some sort of informal range, given the relatively steady overall % of international students. I agree that only a tiny % of the population in most countries (including the US for that matter) don't need financial aid, but even the poorest countries have very prosperous elites. I am sure that the AdComms can pick out a seriously privileged applicant from one who has had to make the most of every tiny opportunity, but the couple of AdComms people I know at need-blind schools take that separation very seriously.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 907 Member
    Well, it is kind of irrelevant, as there are way more people in India and China and so on needing aid as with income to pay full tuition. They clearly aren't being looked at the same way as US applicants. Even if Harvard really is need blind for international applicants in practice, that doesn't mean that most top schools have the same policy.
  • paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 5,003 Senior Member
    There is no FA quota for specific countries.
  • interappinterapp Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member

Most of these colleges have ~10% internationals eaxh year, which limits them from accepting a lot of people. Harvard will pay for airfair if your family is unable to do so after your admission.
    So, clearly they are need-blind, however, those 5 colleges are toughest to get in, not because they are need-blind, but because best of the best around world apply there. They generally have acceptance rate below 10%for both domestic and international students.
    If will have 1000 applicants from India, they will accept the most qualified ones and those who are fit regrless of their family income. The same about domestic, if they have 10000 applicants from California, they will accept the most qualified ones ( clrealy more than internationals )and those who are fit regardless of their fin circumstances.