Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GAP year options.

13»

Replies to: GAP year options.

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,869 Senior Member
    edited March 30
    That affidavit can include the amount of the automatic scholarship.

Math and chess "relate" to cs in that they show STEM ability and logic skills.

Yes, get a portfolio of projects but most importantly projects for an actual place - for an organization, a charity, or better (as
    they'd pay you) a business.

You can apply to UAH next year.

Do retake the SAT before graduation.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,885 Senior Member
    edited March 30
    @gigichuck You had math and chess and was named to the Yale Global Scholars. Also a higher SAT. There will be different EC expectations for students coming from Nigeria based on opportunity. OP is currently living in Oklahoma and attending a US school if I understood that correctly.

@interapp The coding project/s can be volunteer if you work for an org as @MYOS1634 suggested. You mentioned that you can't be paid. No work visa?
  • interappinterapp Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    edited March 30
    @gearmom I am on J-1 visa and I am not living here with my parents.

I am in OK just for 10 months(I am named Future Leader by US State of Department(funny, but acceptance rate to that program across all countries is 2.3%, in my country 0.06%)and it's fully funded , we can't select to which state we are going or to which school(they randomly place you)+also they accepted me for another program(fully funded in DC); this program only for international 100 students to gain a better understanding of some of the key concepts and values that are an integral part of U.S. society and culture, and we wrote for admission a research-essay about social issues in our countries and how we personally solve them(mine was disabled people, I have worked a lot with POD in my country)+ recommendations.

I am in school which doesn't have honestly anything(very small school, 22 seniors, lol), I was more busy back in my country than here. During this year I volunteered a lot in nearby towns, was a judge in Youth Justice Court in nearby big city, helped to organize and train in cheer camp for elementary students, did cheerleading and played softball, and was captain of Academic team(went till regionals). Nothing else is offered in my school and I can't open any other club.
    @gigichuck you had math awards which is very related to STEM.
    I have 3rd place in English in my country and a few first places in drawing, so absolutely nothing related to STEM.
    @MYOS1634 Thanks!
    I will try to find some start-up in my country and work for them.
13»