Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

International student needs help in choosing the school

2»

Replies to: International student needs help in choosing the school

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,830 Senior Member
    UEdinburgh's 4-year degree is recognized by US grad schools to get into a PHD program. Look into th M.Eng to see if it includes more research or more experience (or both).
    In addition, 4 years for a degree is the norm in the US so there's no "extra" year, and a Master's degree would take 6 years in the US.
  • MacLisMacLis Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Then I have to research and choose between Edinburgh and Southampton for my MEng studies. Thank you for all your answers and I will appreciate any other advices too!
    Errr.... Edinburgh is top level worldwide. Southampton is regional at best. Not the same universe.
    Well, Southampton is famous for its EEE courses. For example here it is ranked above Edinburgh every year.
    https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Electrical+&+Electronic+Engineering
    I thought you were interested in CS/CSE. Southampton is not near Edinburgh in that field.
    EEE is different - is that the course you were admitted to?
    Two downsides is that you'd need the M.Eng and you'd have to pay full fees (no equivalent to the SAAS scholarship).
    I was admitted to EEE but I guess it should be possible to transfer to Electronics and Computer Science as well. As I saw on its webpage if I do well during my final exam, I should be eligible for second year entry. Then should I look at 4-year BEng completed in 3 years or rather 5-year MEng finished in 4 years? You said that Edinburgh's BEng is recognized for PhD studies in the US but maybe it will be beneficial to spend one more year as others suggested to earn more experince. Then it should be also easier to get admitted to PhD studies. And if I decide that I do not want to continue my studies, MEng should be a good place to stop, right?
    A MEng in 4 years sounds like the best option for a PhD, as to where it depends on what topic you want to study. Look up the universities' repseftice running and environment (City, campus).
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,810 Senior Member
    If the cost does not matter I would go to GT, but it does and I am not sure what to do. Especially, if I decide I want to go for Ph.D. I will be screwed with such a high student debt. But if I go to British college, I will have my Masters diploma in 4 years (instead of 6) and I will be able to go for Ph.D. in the States...
    You answered your own question. No one needs to reiterate that coming to GT for undergrad is not a viable option for you. Especially since you want to go back to work in your home country (for very laudable reasons).
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,755 Senior Member
    So what courses were you admitted to at the various UK unis?

And who cares if Southampton (their faculty, really) is high-ranked in EEE? Edinburgh (and UCL) are at a different level. What are the costs at the different UK unis?
    University of Edinburgh - Electronics and Electrical Engineering - 0£
    UCL - Engineering (Electronic and Electrical) - 9,250£
    University of Southampton - Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology - 9,250£
    University of Manchester - Electronic Engineering with Industrial Experience - 9,250£

For all 3 unis I can take governmental loan that I will have to repay only if I earn much after finishing my studies. If I cannot repay the loan (due to illness or something like this), it can be waived.
    And who cares if Southampton (their faculty, really) is high-ranked in EEE? Edinburgh (and UCL) are at a different level. What are the costs at the different UK unis?
    I do care because it somehow reflects the quality of education, not only prestige.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,755 Senior Member
    Edinburgh seems like the obvious choice, IMO. Edinburgh EE is no worse than Southampton, CS is the best of that group, Edinburgh and UCL have the best overall reputation, and it's the cheapest.
    That is a reasonable analysis. Thank you!
2»