Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

which college should i apply to get generous aid

pagalhum11pagalhum11 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
i got 1480 on sat and 800 on both sat subject test i take (maths level 2 and physics ) .
please help me to choose where to apply in early :-
1. skidmore
2. trinity
3. colagate
4. u of miami
5. colby
6. bowdoin
7. bates
i wanted to pursue in bussiness or economics.
please suggest me any other college you know.

Replies to: which college should i apply to get generous aid

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 8,472 Senior Member
    edited October 2
    As a resource with respect to your interest in economics, consider https://ideas.repec.org/top/top.uslacecon.html.

Generally, however, though you've listed some excellent, well-funded schools, note that all are likely to be extremely competitive for an international applicant seeking substantial financial assistance.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,874 Senior Member
    Are you female? If so you may want to add some women's colleges, which tend to be excellent and some offer both merit and need-based ais.

Wellesley -- need and merit -- can take some classes at MIT
    Mt. Holyoke -- need and merit (and in consortium with Amherst, Smith, UMass Amherst, Hampshire)
    Smith -- need and merit (and in consortium with Amherst, Mt. H, UMass Amherst, Hampshire)
    Bryn Mawr -- need and merit (and in consortium with Haverford, Swarthmore, UPenn)
    Barnard -- and in same uni system as Columbia
    Scripps -- and in consortium with several other top LACs including Pomona, CMC, Pitzer, Harvey Mudd
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,369 Senior Member
    What can you afford?

Do you have affordable safeties in your home country?

Do you have a GPA, or grades of some kind? If so, how do they compare with others in your high school?
  • pagalhum11pagalhum11 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    i am in top 5% of my class , i am male. yes i have safties in my home country (india ). my parents can contribute around 6000 bucks a year .
  • elodyCOHelodyCOH Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    Colleges that meet full need are incredibly competitive for even domestic students. What are your options in India? Even if you got acceptance to a full need meeting school, $6000 will not cover transportation, basic living, etc. it might be difficult to obtain a student visa in that situation.
    please tell me abput chances ?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,202 Senior Member
    10% because at this point you have the stats but it'll be all about how much you can contribute financially.
    6000 dollars a year
    can take loan too
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,874 Senior Member
    It's impossible to tell you your chances.

I want to add the school Union in Schenectady NY -- they tend to have good financial aid and they have the programs that you're interested in.

Best of luck.
    ok then please tell me similar colleges .
    and how can i increase my chances
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    International students who need significant financial aid generally are tough admits to get. The international acceptance rate is in the single digits at many US colleges/unis.

Some posters have asked questions of you in order to suggest possible schools, and you should answer those. Most importantly, what is your GPA and/or grades? Course rigor?
    6K will cover transportation, personal expenses, books, and health insurance. I've seen students get visas with less if they had a full ride.
    sir have you seen students getting in these universities with similar condition as my . specially skidmore as it's my first choice.
    Well, they'll admit maybe one or two per year. So, it's luck, plain and simple. You can't know whether they'll want you to be the one or not.