Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Polish student's paperwork problems

doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
Hello, I'm a student from Poland applying to US colleges. I have some questions about the stuff I need from my school to be delivered to a college. As for the letters of recommendation, it's straightforward: I'll just ask my math teacher for one, and my english teacher to translate and write one of her own. But I have no idea where even to begin with all the other documents.
The info I found on different schools websites is inconsistent, does it mean that every college requires different stuff, or maybe they're just called different, but they're the same thing. We don't have a counsellor in Poland so it complicates things further, since some schools apparently require counsellor's letter too. Can anyone tell me what actually I need to supply? What should I do if my school doesn't have a counsellor? What's the difference between a school report and a school transcript? For the secondary school stuff do I have to go to my secondary school get something from them, or are the grades just fine?

Replies to: Polish student's paperwork problems

  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 8,733 Senior Member
    edited November 4
    You would benefit from assembling all the pieces you can (with help from CC). For latter stages, your colleges of interest, once identified, will assist you. These schools will welcome your interest, understand your obstacles, and have the experience to help you.

    What's the difference between a school report and a school transcript?
    A school report describes general school characteristics and policies that will provide context for your personal transcript.
  • doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Thanks for the response! What's a CC?
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 8,733 Senior Member
    CC referred to the College Confidential community.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,911 Senior Member
    The head of your school can write the counselor summary. Or a lead teacher.

    High school is considered "secondary school" here. Are you still in high svhool?
  • doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Oh, ok that makes sense. I thought it meant middle school. Does the counselor summary differ from a LoR? Can my maths teacher (who is also my lead teacher) write both? Noone in the administrative body of my school knows much about me, so that'd be the best option, I think.
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,363 Senior Member
    Does the counselor summary differ from a LoR?
    Yes, they differ. The counselor is supposed to add a "big picture" perspective. Not how well you did in any particular class, but how your academic performance compares to other students at your school across the board. What's your estimated class rank? How rigorous were the courses you completed compared to what was available? Whether you have ever had any disciplinary issues or problem behaviors. Any life context that may have helped or hindered your academic performance. Stuff like that.

    It's common for guidance counselors not to know their students well. The average American counselor attends to about 500 students.

  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,911 Senior Member
    Try to google for the actual form and info about the letter.
    Many countries have a group that supports international applicants.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,371 Senior Member
    Have you checked with the EducationUSA advising center closest to where you live? The counselors there should be able to help you with all of this. https://educationusa.state.gov/find-advising-center?field_region_target_id=&field_country_target_id=220&field_center_level_value=All
  • doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    So I'm doing the Common Application and I need some help:

    "Please list all courses you are taking this academic year. If you are not currently enrolled, please list courses from your most recent academic year."

    I have no idea what that means and I need to type in at least one. Could anyone please explain?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,911 Senior Member
    edited November 18
    List your classes this academic year. Not sure why this is confusing. Fall period and spring.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,307 Senior Member
    It is asking you to specify what class subjects you are currently taking in school.
    Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, English, etc......

    If you are already finished with high school, then list the subjects you took last year.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,820 Senior Member
    You're likely taking English: 6th year? 7th year? => English 6 (or English 7)

    Is it a difficult/rigorous class or a "blow off class for a rigorous academic high school"? If "rigorous compared to other classes" add "honors".

    Math: are you studying integral&differential calculus? Multivariate calculus? Statistics? Discrete math? Linear algebra?
    List the type of math. If you're in the science track, add Advanced.

    Other classes you may be taking:
    Polish literature
    Spanish (3, 4, 5?)
    European history
    Contemporary history
    Calculus-based physics
    Physics: mechanics
    Physics: electricity
    Physics: astronomy
    Environmental Science
    CS: Creation and technology
    Computer science: programming
    Visual arts
    Theater technical skills
    Graphic design

    When the class represents your track for Maturity, add Advanced. If it's rigorous, add honors. (There's a pull own menu).
    Since you attend an academic high school, most classes would either be advanced or honors.
    You have to be precise and not just list 'Math', 'Science'....
  • doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Ok, so I have a total of 9 subjects. The ones that my class has "extended" are Math, Physics, Informatics (I'm not exactly sure if it's the same thing as CS. We have programming, spreadsheets, as well as graphics, networking, systems etc. generally a lot of things computer-related) and English, so I'll list them as advanced. The other ones are Polish, German, History and Society, Religion and PE. I can't really tell which ones are rigorous though. Maybe Math and Physics. My physics course is similar to the one you need to pass SAT II, maybe a little more in-depth. Mathematics covers a lot more stuff than what you need for Math II (a lot of calculus and fancy geometry), but it also omits some (like imaginary numbers and conic sections). Should I add honors?
  • doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Oh and I'll take the Polish Maturity, but on "basic" level, everyone has to take it, so is it advanced or regular?
  • doopahdoopah Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    edited November 20
    Also there is another thing called honors, I believe it's about contests and such. I can enter only the ones I got in 9th grade or later, but 9th grade is the last year of middle school in Poland. There is no indication that the honors HAVE to be from secondary school, so can I type in my middle school contests? There is especially one, that matters a lot, it's called Voivodeship Mathematics Contest, which I won, didn't have to take the middle school math test and automatically got 100% on it.
Sign In or Register to comment.