right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Internationial Asian Tax

titanrey15titanrey15 77 replies25 postsRegistered User Junior Member
Recently I read some things about this so called "The International Asian Tax" for college admissions
International Asian's definition is self explanatory. anyone asian living outside of U.S ( Korea, China, Indian Subcontinent, SE Asia)

Although I know for international applicants private and especially public universities are much harsher what this suggested was that

1. Your safeties you should be 90th percentile.
2. You have to score like 100 points higher in SAT than people who are white, 300 points than people who are black on average
I found the first point to be concerning.

They basically said that since most international asians are really high scorers with not much time invested ECs thats why the standards are like this now..

What I want to ask is
1. To what extent are the statements above true
2. Since ECs are a big thing in U.S I wonder.. if you're International asian with Great ECs and Average scores (I know thats vague, but assume you know what I mean) is that helpful in any significant shape or form?
3. Georgia tech has like a 25~30% acceptance rate for americans, but for internationals since its a lower number applying and its hard to get in.. its a 16%. technically the admission rate is 16% essentially almost ivy-league level? or is it just that the less people applying and less people being taken in shrinks this acceptance rate way too much. I know Georgia Tech is really good, but its not ivy league level right?
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: The Internationial Asian Tax

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 6599 replies39 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    GT is better than most, if not all, of the Ivies for engineering. Intended major matters.

Find your safeties based on acceptance rates for your major, not where you fall in a school’s accepted student statistics.

And no amount of ECs will overshadow grades, course rigor, and test scores. (Unless you are a recruited athlete).
    · Reply · Share
  • titanrey15titanrey15 77 replies25 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    How do I find acceptance rates for the major? its hard to find on most college websites. Its not under class profile, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8732 replies321 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 7
    Recently I read some things about this so called "The International Asian Tax" for college admissions

Sources matter. Where did you find this information? There are two primary reasons that admissions for internationals is so competitive, and it has nothing to do with any sort of standardized test "tax." The ability to pay matters. Most colleges can't offer much aid. The other issue is the sheer number of applicants who are after a limited number of spots. You have to be one of the best in your country to get into selective programs here.

Your stats have to be in the mid-50th percentile to be competitive for a college. Since you're hoping to enter selective CS programs, your scores need to be in the upper end of their range. Nothing makes up for lowish stats.
    edited July 7
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3843 replies83 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @austinmshauri the site won’t allow me to post links, but do a google search for “Asian tax 140 points”
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38442 replies6719 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 7
    This entire thread falls apart on this error. The article is not entitled "The International Asian Tax." It is called "The 'Asian Tax' In College Admissions" and refers to US applicants.

As I told you on your other thread. international applicants are a totally different bucket. Your chances are diminished simply by being an international applicant.
    edited July 7
    · Reply · Share
    Although yes title is different, they specifically say: "We are particularly focused on international students in East Asia because that is where the need is the most pronounced. "
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 7
    Also everyone & @momofsenior1 How do I find acceptance rates for the major? or at least specific school/college in the uni its hard to find on most college websites. Its not under class profile, etc.
    edited July 7
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29476 replies170 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Except for those US colleges and universities that admit all students (including international students) strictly based on stats, you should simply expect that what would be a safety for a US applicant will be at best a match for an international applicant, and that what would be match for a US applicant will be a reach for an international applicant.

· Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22412 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Ga Tech is a public school and there is a cap on OOS/International admissions. You can't compare domestic with international without also carving out the OOS student applicants too.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12668 replies29 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Name the schools you're interested in. Better yet, name your goals and reasoning for pursuing the schools you want to get admitted to.
    · Reply · Share