Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

are airline fares covered by financial aid?

screwitlahscrewitlah Registered User Posts: 1,980 Senior Member
edited June 2008 in International Students
I'm from Singapore and I've been accepted to a university with full financial aid. would my university cover my travel expenses i.e. flight between USA and SingaporE?
Post edited by screwitlah on

Replies to: are airline fares covered by financial aid?

• ajaycajayc Registered User Posts: 4,682 Senior Member
    Some college provide that aid. Bowdoin and Yale does. But the majority don't.
  • lisieuxlisieux Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    You should really ask your uni for that. I know for a fact that my friend got his travel expenses paid from a top liberal arts college.
  • limitedvocablimitedvocab Registered User Posts: 309 Junior Member
    screwitlah, you're going to princeton right? i think i've heard of at least one international student on CC who got his travel expenses covered by princeton. can't remember who and when though. but anyway, wouldn't it say so in your financial aid package?

i think harvard and williams also cover travel expenses. wesleyan as well, for the freeman asian scholarship, but only at the beginning and end of your undergrad studies. (--> hmm lisieux, deja vu much? haha)
  • lisieuxlisieux Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    Yup Williams covers travel expenses.

Deja vu indeed. :P
  • YOUYOU Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    Swarthmore gives one trip after the 5th semester..

Williams seems to provide travel expenses every year.
  • screwitlahscrewitlah Registered User Posts: 1,980 Senior Member
    eh yeah, thanks guys for all the tips. limitedvocab: yep i'm going princeton, i'm definitely gonna try and find out about my options then! i hope they'll agree to pay for Singapore Airlines :D
  • NadashNadash Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    Anyone know any details about Amherst?

Do they buy the tickets for you, or just give you a fixed amount of moola?
  • skunkskunk Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    I emailed Amherst and received an extremely confusing reply. Dammit, I've spent the last two hours trying to understand it.
    Pm me it? =)
  • shreya.iitkshreya.iitk Registered User Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Carleton has put my travelling expenses at 1250$ for which i get aid.
    I am guessing they included international travel since 1250 is too much for domestic travel.
  • deutschdeutsch Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    isn't travelling expenses just the money you use during the year? like getting around the city near campus by bus or other means of transportation??
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,171 Senior Member
    That would be considered part of your "personal expenses".
  • skunkskunk Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    Alternatively, should you choose to purchase the plane ticket to Amherst on your own, then if the travel allowance in your aid package is greater than your family contribution, then you would in fact get a refund credited to your student account when you arrive on campus. That refund would be for the difference of the family contribution and your travel allowance

A part of the email I received from Amherst when I asked about travel expenses. Can anyone help be decipher this?:(
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,171 Senior Member
    In numbers:

The travel allowance in your fin aid budget: $1200

Your family contribution (cost of attendance minus financial aid): $800
    Amount credited to your account: $400

Your family contribution: $3600
    Amount credited to your account: $0
    Skunk:

Yeah, as barium said, in this case, you buy the ticket yourself, taking the money out of your own pocket. Since you need to pay a small amount to the college (as family contribution), the cash you used to pay for your own ticket will be counted as it. If the price of your ticket is more than your family contribution, you will be paying more than what the FA package stated for you to pay, so they will pay you the amount by which you exceed by. However, as the travel allowance is fixed--the amount of money allocated to your transport spending is fixed, they will not pay for plane tickets that exceed that amount. So if the price of your plane ticket exceeds your family contribution, they will pay for the ticket, the refund cap being the transport allowance, and subtract your family contribution from it. The amount you paid for the ticket now is counted as your family contribution and you will not be expected to pay more.

Still can't figured the contribution part. =\
    Unless they mean that the one-way ticket cost will take up much of the transport allowance and they expect you to pay the excess (return-ticket) yourself. They're evil if they mean that.
This discussion has been closed.