Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Out of State- In State tuition

new_west89new_west89 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
edited July 2008 in International Students
Hey there,

a fellow international student here..
I'm originally from Singapore, i went to Singapore American School there
but I left after my junior year and attended high school in San Diego. I have just finished my first two semesters at San Diego State..
so far, i've lived here for 2 years..

I was wondering if any of you international students
have successfully applied to become a resident here..

I have cousins, aunts and my grandparents here in San Diego along with my sister and some uncles throughout So Cal..

I have heard a lot of people explain the processes but it seems to vary.

I'd love to hear your insight. thanks!
Post edited by new_west89 on

Replies to: Out of State- In State tuition

  • b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,355 Senior Member
    As long as you are an international student (on a F-1 or J-1 visa) you cannot establish residency in any state. If you are a dependent student (younger than 24 _and_ financially dependent of your parents) and your parents don't live in CA, you cannot establish residency in CA. CA is one of the toughest states to establish residency in for tuition purposes.

    There are only two major exceptions to the rule, but I doubt one of them applies to you:

    -If you attended high school in CA for at least 3 years and graduated from a CA high school, you are eligible for in-state tuition without establishing residency. But it looks like you only attended high school in CA for one year.

    -If you are a minor (younger than 18) and have been under the continuous care of a CA resident adult for two years, you may be able to establish residency in CA.

    Establishing California Residence for Tuition Purposes, Office of the Registrar
  • new_west89new_west89 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    thanks for the reply [email protected]!um!

    some other things..
    I have a sister that was born and is currently a resident and a US citizen (lives in San Francisco)

    Also both my parents recieved green cards already (my sister sponsored them- as we have all been Canadian citizens but she wasn't as she was born in the US in the 70s..)

    Does that make a difference ? (sorry for the late reply!)
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,281 Senior Member
    Your own legal status is what matters.
This discussion has been closed.