right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

MHC vs University of Glasgow for intl student

flidflid 217 replies17 threads Junior Member
edited April 2009 in International Students
Hi! I'm an international student and I've been accepted to both Mount Holyoke College and University of Glasgow.

I know they are two extremely different schools, but there are aspects I like about both...

Mount Holyoke:
Pros:
Quite well-respected LAC
I don't have to settle on a major jet
I like its small classes and supportive environment
I also like that I don't have to worry about cooking etc
I have been dreaming about studying in the US for years...

Cons:
While I can pay for it, I also have to take loans. When I graduate, I'd be $20000 in debt (+$12000 from my local bank I'd take either way)
It's a women's college, I'm not sure if it's for me
Quite small, located in a small town
Not much reputation outside US

University of Glasgow
Pros:
Quite prestigious in Europe
Closer to home
I'd get a single room
More people
Wonderful city
Great academics (I'll major in Political Science)
Don't have to pay tuition
Better job options for the future

Cons:
The living costs are about $1000/per month, I have only about $700 for one month, so I'd have to work (I have to work in MHC also)
I'd graduate with (only) $12000 in debt
Have to choose a major in the beginning

I don't know what to do...Which one would you choose?
I really appreciate your help!!!
edited April 2009
6 replies
Post edited by flid on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: MHC vs University of Glasgow for intl student

• luluzgluluzg 558 replies52 threads Member
    University of Glasgow simply coz i like europe better and love Scots
    · Reply · Share
  • fiona_fiona_ 1749 replies62 threads Senior Member
    MoHo's academics aren't that great, and I wonder how 'well-respected' it is. Even among LACs it's not that well-known...
    · Reply · Share
  • EdwinesqueEdwinesque 27 replies10 threads Junior Member
    Which subject you plan to study?

The Scottish system is more flexible than the English one. You can choose 3-4 subjects in your first and second year. You can then choose to do single honours or joint honours in your honours years.
    · Reply · Share
  • flidflid 217 replies17 threads Junior Member
    I'll most probably study Politics. I've been accepted to Social Sciences in Glasgow, so it makes it more flexible.
    I'm afraid I will regret my decision whichever college I choose..
    · Reply · Share
  • katsikakatsika 18 replies5 threads New Member
    Haha, I have the exact same problem as you, but the other way round!

I can't decide between St. Andrews in the UK and Tufts University in Boston (I'm from Maryland). Like you, I've been dreaming of studying in the UK for years...although, for me the cost would be about the same, the size is similar, and the prestige as well probably. My main problem is whether I want to actually have choices apart from the subjects I've applied for (English lit and modern history). And whether I want to live overseas and leave everything cozy and familiar behind.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29723 replies176 threads Senior Member
    The students at Mount Holyoke are intellectual and academic peers of the students in the so-called Ivy league institutions, and MHC is well-recognized in academic circles for preparing students for post-graduate programs. If your ultimate goal is a Ph.D., it is a good place to start.

However, a USD 20,000 difference in your debt load is something to be taken seriously. Especially considering that you will have a USD 13,000 debt to begin with. There are some debt repayment calculators at FinAid! Financial Aid, College Scholarships and Student Loans that you may want to run so that you have an idea of just how difficult it can be to pay off USD 13,000 vs. USD 33,000.

If you are truly undecided, would it be possible to attend MHC for one year to see how you feel about it? You would probably have to enter U of Glasgow as a first year student if you decided that you didn't want to stay at MHC, but you would have a year to think more seriously about your long-term academic and professional goals.

Wishing you all the best.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity