Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When the colleges claim they are need-blind, do they really mean it

KujaluluKujalulu Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in International Students
Places such as Yale, Harvard, Williams colleges claim that they are need-blind to international students, as many of us know.

But I am just not sure, if they are really need-blind or they are just claiming it, to attract more applicants, but really they check how much FA the applicants need before deciding whether or not accpet the applications?
Post edited by Kujalulu on

Replies to: When the colleges claim they are need-blind, do they really mean it

• b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,340 Senior Member
    Considering how much money these universities have, I believe that they are sincerely need-blind. On the other hand, they also have international acceptance rates between 2% and 5%, and they are interested in the very brightest students from each country. Students who represent the country in international science competitions or play in national-level sports leagues. In case you are not accepted, I would blame it on a more qualified applicant rather than on your financial aid application.
  • sora2712sora2712 Registered User Posts: 517 Member
    I'm pretty sure they are need blind: but you know with the GFC and all (*eurgh, that comes up EVERYWHERE), they'll pro be EVEN MORE selective.
    and i guess its common sense that they'd compare the applicants from each country side by side, and pick the best? because they want a good range so they show off their 'international-ness.' thats why its easier to apply from a country where there aren't that many applicants, comparitively, e.g. applying to an Ivy as an Aussie would be a lot easier than applying as a Chinese/Korean/Indian... but you still have to have a stellar app. =] goodluck~
  • KujaluluKujalulu Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    I see, thank you guys!
This discussion has been closed.