Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

American Student Going to Belgium For College

nafiul93nafiul93 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited August 2013 in International Students
Hello. I am a 17 year old about to be a senior after the vacation. My uncle from Belgium is staying over at our place and informed me about the opportunities at his place. How would college acceptance and success be for a person like me, born and raised in America with an above average high school history? I make A's and B's (most or all Pre-AP/AP courses; advanced) and also have had an internship at the University of Texas at Arlington. Right now I am planning to move with my uncle in 2015, after getting my Bachelors at UTA. Any suggestions, comments, advice, or precautions? Also express the job opportunities there compared to America. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Post edited by nafiul93 on

Replies to: American Student Going to Belgium For College

• b@r!um[email protected]!um Registered User Posts: 10,340 Senior Member
    Moving overseas is a big decision. Here are a few points to consider:

- Are you fluent in Dutch or French? If not, what are your odds of finding employment that requires English only?
    - Are you a EU citizen? If not, would you qualify for a work permit?
    - Will an American college degree help you in Belgium, or would you be better off to study in Belgium? (In neighboring Germany, undergraduate degrees from the US are considered inferior to undergraduate degrees from European universities.)
    - Why do you want to go to Belgium? Emigrate? Stay with family for a while? Experience another culture? Depending on your goals, there might be other options to consider. (For example, you could study abroad at a Belgian university for 1-2 semesters or pursue an entire degree there.)
  • nafiul93nafiul93 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I do not know any Dutch or French but will be able to learn it before 2015. I am not a citizen and not sure about the work permit but may be able to. The question about the American degree, I do not know (that's why I am asking in this forum). I want to go to Belgium because of the opportunity. My uncle told me that compared to America's economy, Belgium would be a far better place to live in with an American Bachelors degree.
  • FemiluvFemiluv Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    Do you believe that, or do you just take your uncle's word as law? Have you done your own research?
  • nafiul93nafiul93 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I have been doing my own research but came to this website for additional assistance from more experienced individuals.
  • bakerj609bakerj609 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Bump this, I'm curious as well.
This discussion has been closed.