right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

University Graduate Career Surveys

Replies to: University Graduate Career Surveys

• RacinReaverRacinReaver 6555 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Pretty much. Stanford's also a neighbor to many tech companies that will aggressively compete for talented students. Not to mention I imagine a lot more of Stanford's graduates wind up in high cost of living areas versus other schools.

Go look at more traditional engineering majors and you probably won't see that huge of a difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • labeisouplabeisoup 128 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
  • notaznguynotaznguy 763 replies191 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 954 Member
    CloudyCloud, it's because they're Stanford. The calibre of a bright Stanford student is light years ahead of a bright Virginia Tech student. At Stanford and other top Ivy Leagues, you're literally recruiting from the cream of the crop, so of course you're going to pay more to lure better talent.

It doesn't hurt that Stanford is in the Silicon Valley, which is a hot spot for CS majors and jobs.
    · Reply · Share
  • chriswchrisw 1554 replies31 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    notaznguy, that's a little bit of an absurd statement.

What career surveys do not tell you is a normalized average, so you have no good way of comparing if the average of one school is skewed due to its location. $85,000 in San Francisco goes about as far as $52,000 in Richmond, VA, so actually the $65k base your friend from VT is making probably gives him higher spending power than someone making 20k more in California. According to Salary.com's salary calculator, someone earning $85k in San Francisco would be likely to earn around $70k for the same job by the same employer in Richmond. I'm guessing that a higher percentage of Stanford CS grads work in Silicon Valley at big tech companies, since it's very easy to recruit so close, and a higher percentage of VT grads go to smaller regional companies.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76462 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,127 Senior Member
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76462 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,127 Senior Member
    Virginia public universities and community colleges:

WG02: Wages of Graduates, List Programs By Institution
    · Reply · Share
  • labeisouplabeisoup 128 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    University of Texas

College of Natural Sciences

Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics, Etc. Majors

Salary Survey
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16616 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,682 Senior Member
    There is quite a bit of data as others have said. The data I prefer is subscription only which is unfortunate. If the information that is gathered from the National Association of Colleges & Employers could be integrated into the existing iPEDS that would be lovely. NACE has 2,000 college members so that is a pretty good representation. That said, I'm another one who agrees that you don't go to college to get a job...unless it's pre-pro program at a university...but it is interesting to see where kids are 5 years out. I always look at the alumni magazines for every college my kids were interested in to see where the early after college alums were reporting.
    · Reply · Share
  • FrontiumFrontium 75 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Rose Hulman Institute of Technology: Recruitment & Employment Statistics
    · Reply · Share
  • GoalsOrientedGoalsOriented 107 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    momofthree:

Both sources are inaccurate and extremely biased, unfortunately. The alumni magazine is only going to talk about their most successful students. And, the NACE report is clearly fixed, whether they are doing something on their own to make the numbers positive (so as to maintain their good relations with the educational institution establishment), simply accepting "cleaned up" university numbers as-is, or both.

During my very first year in college I paid a great deal of attention to the NACE reports and believed them myself, and continued to pay attention to them throughout my college career. However, I think it is pretty clear that the vast majority of college graduates are not going into 45k/year or better jobs, yet that is the average that the NACE consistently reports just about every year. The relatively small amount that get significantly higher salaries are not enough to make that "average" accurate. The New York Times conducted their own research a few years ago, and they found the median college graduate salary to be around 25k / year, and this was coming from an organization based in the most expensive metropolitan city in the nation.

Unfortunately, I relied heavily on the NACE's data for my college major, and one of their most "in-demand" majors turned out to be one of the least in-demand in the real world. A recent Yahoo article, which although not a trusted source of accuracy either, even directly contradicted previous NACE reports, listing certain majors that the NACE claims is "in-demand" as being majors that employers dislike most (as they prefer other majors for those fields).
    · Reply · Share
    Unfortunately, I relied heavily on the NACE's data for my college major, and one of their most "in-demand" majors turned out to be one of the least in-demand in the real world.

Or was this due to the job market for that industry being at a high point when you were a freshman, and then going into an industry downturn by the time you graduated?
    · Reply · Share
  • GoalsOrientedGoalsOriented 107 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Maybe that can be the problem in some cases, but it was not the case for me (Information Technology). Also, I chose my major less than two years before graduating. And even if a field was theoretically on the downward part of a cycle, that still does not explain why both in the real-world and in future reports from non-NACE sources, employers state that they strongly prefer a different major for the same exact job, whether that field is on a downward cycle or not. This is on top of the fact that NACE's entire credibility is already highly questionable based on the super-inflated salary data they give. It is not like they are saying the average Engineering major gets 45k/year. They are saying the average college graduate, when including the salaries of Liberal Arts, Fine Arts, Humanities, etc... is 45k / year. A huge amount of business majors don't even make that much coming straight out of college.
    · Reply · Share
    Maybe that can be the problem in some cases, but it was not the case for me (Information Technology).

When did you graduate? IT has pretty huge ups and downs. (But also, IT ≠ CS, although CS also has pretty huge ups and downs.)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.