Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Starting Salary for Master's Computer Science

QuestionGuy12QuestionGuy12 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
Assuming a programming-intensive assistantship and a 6 month internship. I've heard the average starting salary for a bachelor's is 61-63k, but have seen nothing relating to Masters
Post edited by QuestionGuy12 on

Replies to: Starting Salary for Master's Computer Science

• OdysseyTiggerOdysseyTigger Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    Master's itself might get you a small bump - then again it might not

Probably will help more in getting your foot in the door for an interview

but my understanding such that it is about the field is that hiring is ultimately based upon the technical interviews

- of course that understanding comes from ba's who were looking at Google/Microsoft/VMWare/etc. and a much higher starting salary level -
  • csgrad12csgrad12 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I think you can expect around 85k~120k with MS in CS from top school. I personally got 110k base and 10% bonus guaranteed annually right out of grad school.
  • andrewt787andrewt787 Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    ^What school did you go to?
  • kingpin101kingpin101 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Those numbers are pretty attainable if you go to Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, CMU, Cornell, etc.
  • LongPrimeLongPrime - Posts: 5,208 Senior Member
    Be aware of regional cost of living, mean, Median, and specific demand. Pay without stating region is meaningless.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 33,886 Super Moderator
    ^Excellent point. There are online cost-of-living calculators that will compare costs of two cities. For example, Portland, Maine is about 23% more expensive than Plano, Texas! And there is no state income tax in Texas, either.
  • AishaBennettAishaBennett Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    The master in computer science program is the terminal degree program which prepares students for highly productive careers in industry. The program is designed for students who possess a bachelor's degree in computer science from an accredited institution. This advanced degree offer students technical, managerial, and policy issues of computer based systems. Hence the salary should be high, depending upon such heavy responsibilities.
This discussion has been closed.