Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Angst for the educated

13»

Replies to: Angst for the educated

• vienneselightsvienneselights Registered User Posts: 411 Member
    I love this thread. It's like, WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST LEARN MULTIVARIABLE CALCULUS AND BE HAPPY?!!!

Dear Concerned Middle Class Fathers,

Math is great, but nobody cares. This hysteria about STEM majors is just that: people think that by satisfying some arcane list of requirements, they will purify themselves before the nebulous ether and gaim entry to heaven on earth. Before, people used to buy great artwork for the churches in order to buy out their souls, and even before that, they did rain dances and sacrificed virgins. Now everybody's advised to put themselves through the Majors of Hell, for a propensity for the humanities is Original Sin, and only linear algebra could possibly save you from the inferno/not being decent enough to enter the middle class.

But the fact is, the world was always as it is right now, in the sense that, to succeed, one must hustle. A piece of paper, whether it says that you go to confession regularly or that you completed pre-med requirements, will not save your ass unless in a bathroom situation. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for hard work, and there is no medicine for uncertainty.

p.s. Multivariable calculus is pretty legit, tho
  • IBfootballerIBfootballer Registered User Posts: 2,250 Senior Member
    ^Eloquent and insightful wit like that, in my opinion, is more marketable than being a dime-a-dozen dullard whose resume is distinguished by containing a line saying 'Multivariable Calculus.'
  • IBfootballerIBfootballer Registered User Posts: 2,250 Senior Member
    The value I see in having quantitative credentials is that you have the skill set to think critically about data instead of relying only on a computer output or the analysis which someone else puts on your desk/computer screen. I'm looking to go into International Relations, but I hope to distinguish myself by having taken a statistics course, perhaps working in some econometrics, and taking a course in Geographical Information Systems. I figure I'll be better able to do whatever job I end up with if I'm able to come to an understanding of inputs on my own.
  • englishjwenglishjw Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    IBfootballer - your approach seems fine and should achieve what you are hoping to accomplish. Best of luck with everything.
  • DreburdenDreburden Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    IBfootballer and Viennese, you guys sound like you have huge inferiority complexes lol
13»
This discussion has been closed.