Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Computer Science & Math VS CS & Accounting?which combination has better job prospect?

cqphg1cqphg1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I want to major in Computer Science. But I don't know what major I should study with my CS major in terms of job security. Before you can fully understand my question, please read the reason why I'm still wondering.

If I have a double major in Computer Science & Math, it will be easier for me to find a job in the software industry than just having BS in Computer Science.

If I major in Computer Science & Accounting. I know this combination would not help me as much as the combination of CS & Math, even though this combination can help me find a job easier in finance marketing business related industry.

I know Computer Science uses Math a lot. So the combination of CS & Math seems to sound better than CS & Accounting. However, if I I cannot find a job in Computer Science, I cannot find a job in Math either industry unless I have PhD in Math. But with the combination of CS & Accounting , if I cannot find a CS job, I still can find a job in Accounting industry. As far as I know, CS and Accounting are equal in job demand (correct me if I'm wrong) So I think Computer Science & Accounting would be better in terms of job security (job prospect).

Please tell me what you think. Is what I'm thinking is wrong or right ?

Thank you very much!
Post edited by cqphg1 on

Replies to: Computer Science & Math VS CS & Accounting?which combination has better job prospect?

• DueceyDuecey Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Forget double major. If determined, get minor in math. Forget accounting double major.

You need work experience. By your sophomore year, you should at least be part-timing at a local company (unpaid, if necessary), have extensive open source experience, or working on own project.

If you forgo work experience for a double major, you are shooting yourself in the foot.
  • Packers1Packers1 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I agree; just worry about the CS major and do well on that. Double major in CS and Acctg is going to be difficult because in many colleges those programs are in two different schools (LAS and Bus) and the graduation requirements will be very different. For the added trouble, I don't think you are getting much increased marketability.
  • msl2008msl2008 Registered User Posts: 307 Junior Member
    Why do you want to double major? If you're a comp sci major, there is TONS OF DEMAND out there for good ones. Just focus on being a top notch comp sci programmer and you will definitely not have trouble finding jobs.
  • CollectivSynergyCollectivSynergy Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    Having an accounting major doesn't make you employable, you have to be on the CPA track (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). That's a lot more requirements than it usually takes to fill an accounting major.
This discussion has been closed.