Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Switching from science (biology) to law or business

seadog.overseasseadog.overseas Registered User Posts: 599 Member
So, I have a question about my career path. I don't want to stay in science forever, particularly academia. Ideally, I would get an MD-PhD then gradually move on to only practicing medicine (the main reason I'm doing this is because there is no way I can pay for medical school, given that I pay very little for undergraduate right now). However, I know for a fact I'm a much strong PhD candidate than an MD candidate, and I'm very uncertain whether I can get into a top medical school, but pretty confident I can get into a top graduate school. Anyone have experience with switching from a science PhD (most likely genetics or cancer biology) to working in industry, particularly with management, consulting, or finance, or patent law? What are steps that can help prepare this as an undergraduate? I'm taking as much math, economics, business and law as I schedule will allow right now. Would interning at a biotech company help? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by seadog.overseas on

Replies to: Switching from science (biology) to law or business

• seadog.overseasseadog.overseas Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    anyone with experience?
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Registered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    if you want to work in management, consulting, finance, or patent law, why are you studying hard sciences?
  • Packers1Packers1 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    You need to think about how this is going to work our from an employer standpoint; why are they going to hire you?
    It sounds like you really don't know what you want to do; you just want to have a lot of responsibility. you are going to have to build up to that; you are not going to start our in management; it is going to take several years as an employee before you get promoted, and companies want commitment.
    All of the areas that you mentioned have very specific and different requirements. Patent law is particularly specialized; all of our patent attorneys were very skilled in their particular fields before they went back to school to get their JD.
This discussion has been closed.