Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where can I find funding/grants/scholarships for UNPAID summer internships?

TransferKiddoTransferKiddo Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
I’m a junior at a small liberal arts college but I’ve become largely interested in unpaid internships for the upcoming summer. Besides interning in my hometown of L.A, NYC and Chicago have a breadth of offerings which are incredible. I am very competitive on paper, but the cost is an issue.

Question: Where can I find funding/grants/scholarships for unpaid summer internships?
I am not on financial aid at my school – merit was provided for 3.7 GPA+ but my father’s earnings ($110,000) are too large for need-based. However, I have heard that some schools give financial aid for the summer – is this true? It’s not like we have money sitting around - L.A is a costly place!

Thanks!
Post edited by TransferKiddo on

Replies to: Where can I find funding/grants/scholarships for UNPAID summer internships?

• polarscribepolarscribe Registered User Posts: 3,232 Senior Member
    I don't think what you're talking about exists. Internships are work experience, and generally you should be getting paid for them. AmeriCorps offers stipends for internships with affiliated non-profit and government agencies, but they aren't then considered "unpaid."

You're not going to find any school giving you "financial aid" for the summer except for student loans, given that you're out of range for any need-based aid.
This discussion has been closed.