Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Teach For America 2013 Corps

Replies to: Teach For America 2013 Corps

• SChopeful13SChopeful13 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I also interviewed this past week. I agree that it was an overall positive experience. I felt everyone was really prepared. I think it could go either way for me. Hopefully it all works out though! Good luck to everyone else going through the process!!

I put D.C, Baltimore, Charlotte, New York, and Chicago for my highly preferred regions.
  • IamafriendofGodIamafriendofGod Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Hi Orange, if I was you, I would not wait. I don't think your GPA will make that much of a difference. It seems to me that all the questions focus on your leadership capacity and ability to resolve critical issues rather than grade point average.
  • WildsunshineWildsunshine Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Hey guys! I just had my final interview as well -- a mix between guys and girls. A few people did great but two did horrible in my opinion. One girl walked in 30 minutes late, smoothed out three crumpled/yellowed handouts, and passed them out. It was awkward.

I thought my group interview could have gone better but that I did well on my final!

Best to everyone!!! Please post your admittance/rejections! So that we can support each other either way.
  • Tkass87Tkass87 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    was all girls and I felt that every last one of us did great with our teaching lessons. They were all interactive. This wait is going to drive me insane!
    I agree about the wait!! TFA is all I can think about!! To top it off I have two exams on November 1st. I'm never going to be able to focus. I just wish we could all know! :)
  • RED0088RED0088 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Wow! So I'm shocked that this forum has grown this much since I first started the thread! I'm so glad everyone has made it this far!

What are everyone's assignment (location and subject/grade) preferences?

I preferenced for Location: Baltimore, D.C., Metro Atlanta, Greater Philly, and Chicago in my Highly Preferred.

For subject/grade: My highly preferred are - Generalist (M.S.), History (M.S./H.S.), and Social Studies (M.S./H.S.)

I also added in special education to my preferred since I have background in social work.

What about everyone else??

9 more days
  • iTeachiTeach Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I interviewed last Friday (10/19). I can't believe 3 days have passed since my final interview.

Just a little info on my interview day: There were about 12 people in our group (3 guys and the rest gals). The 5 minute lesson plan was ready fun. Everyone seemed to be over prepared as we were finishing within 4-5 minutes. Everyone in my group finished their lesson plan and no one really did terribly except for one lady who tried to explain a really complicated math topic without assessing students.
    The group discussion was a lot of fun actually. I was a bit nervous about this part of the interview since I thought I wouldn't be able to contribute during the discussion. But, my group was great and we all respected each other and gave each other time to speak up.

Then, the lights were turned onto the interviewers. They spoke about high need regions and suggested picking one of these regions.
    My one-on-one interview went pretty well. It was fun to share some of the reasons why I am so passionate about the organization. It was somewhat awkward speaking to a person who was typing as you spoke. I felt I was able to relate more to my interviewer in the end when she was done with all of interview questions.
    Overall, I agree with everyone here. I thought it was extremely exciting and thought I did okay.

Regions preferred: Hawaii, New York, Los Angeles, and Florida. Yes, I know the big cities and more popular areas but we'll see how it all works out in the end.

Just 9 more days of waiting!!!!
  • advocateforlifeadvocateforlife Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I know this might certainly be jumping ahead a bit but has anyone heard anything about how getting the masters program works during the two years corps members serve? Like in regards to the workload, how many classes one takes each semester, etc Has anyone heard anything in specific about the program at LMU?
    @advocateforlife I think it varies dependent upon your region. You can get basic info on the "where we work" part of TFA's site.
  • RShackelfordRShackelford Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Hey guys,

I know this has been a point of contention in past years, but any idea what a change in your transitional funding could possibly entail? My transitional funding is now listed as "complete". I've heard in the past it can serve as an early indicator for acceptance. But I've also heard stories of people getting rejected despite the change.

What say y'all?
    @RShackelford I've also heard that it is an early indicator, but I guess we can't be sure. What day did you interview?
  • WildsunshineWildsunshine Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    RShackelford -- does it say complete on the status page, or in the section itself? Cause everything says complete on my status page but says "we have not yet reviewed..." once inside.

I put Colorado, DC, Baltimore, Bay Area, Rhode Island, Chicago, and Boston as highly preferred.
  • Tkass87Tkass87 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    I am currently in a doctoral program so if I'm not accepted, I'll continue that.
    It says "complete" on my transitional funding status page, not the front page. It doesn't say how much money for grants and loans and whatnot. I interviewed last Wednesday.

I heard they decide who is accepted this week and they spend next week on placements, so it may be too early. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it haha.
    Correction: It says "complete" on my transitional funding status page AND the front page.
This discussion has been closed.