Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Jobs with an AS in Computer Science

megan13megan13 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I`m going to a community college first, so I`ll have an AS in Computer Science. When I go to another school I will have to have a job to support myself and pay for whatever I can`t get aid or loans for. I would prefer a job in the Computer Science/ IT field so that I can gain experience (and hopefully earn more). I would like to be able to do this job and still go to school full-time. I`m willing to work a full-time job, but if its from 9am-5pm every week day, I probably won`t be able to squeeze in enough classes to be full-time. So it either has to be something that can be part time, lets me work from home, or has hours that don`t take up the whole school day.
What are some jobs I could look into in computers while in college?
Thank you so much for any answers!
Post edited by megan13 on

Replies to: Jobs with an AS in Computer Science

• GoalsOrientedGoalsOriented Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Honestly, an AS in Computer Science would be a waste of time/effort/money (unless you go to a specific school that has huge local demand for its graduates). Anyone that cares about degrees is going to require a Bachelor's, and it will certainly be required for long-term career growth. I hear about more people unemployed with Associates degrees in fields related to technology than I do unemployed people with Bachelor degrees in CS / CE (and plenty of them too are unemployed). At the same time, entry-level CS opportunities, even with a four-year CS degree, are getting harder and harder to get every day due to outsourcing of jobs to cheaper countries and importing cheap foreign labor to fill the remaining jobs here. Both of these factors are increasingly negatively affecting most industries / occupations in America, but they are affecting the computer-related fields far more than any other (with the exception of manufacturing of course, but that has been almost completely gone for years now).

Not to mention that it is likely that some or possibly even most of the courses you take in your AS degree will not apply later to your BS degree (check that before doing anything), which you will eventually need to go anywhere in your career.

You would be better off either focusing all your time on self-learning the fundamental principles and latest specific technologies for the computer-related field that most interests you or going to school part-time for a BS in Computer Science and working part-time in a related job. However, you will have to self-learn for a while before you have any kind of chance at all, much less a good one, in getting a part-time entry-level job (you will have to be highly proficient in whatever exact skills/technologies they are seeking).
This discussion has been closed.