right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

High School GPA Predicts Future Earnings

124»

Replies to: High School GPA Predicts Future Earnings

• CanuckguyCanuckguy 1171 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,171 Senior Member
    This is becoming a question for epistemology. What do we really know? How do we know we know? Etc.

My personal feeling is that it is not possible to “prove” that something causes something. It is the responsibility of theories to name a “cause”, and if evidence does not support such a theory, then it has to be discarded and a new one is required to replace it.

What science does is focus on the “result” of such causes. In other words, science does not answer the question “why” but “how”.

Perhaps we should stay with religion instead? We don't need to worry about causation or even correlation; all we need is faith.
    · Reply · Share
  • ManFromUncleManFromUncle 4 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5 New Member
    IMO there's little to say about this 'study' since we don't actually have it to evaluate. We have an article about a study.
    · Reply · Share
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist 24269 replies860 discussionsHonorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    edited June 2014
    Having a discussion does not mean I am "sit(ting) to re-bottle every feedback that does not meet (my) own opinion about the article". Gee, I thought these forums were for discussion. I was simply noting your strong language about the article. Seems over the top to me. Of course you are welcome to voice it. As I am welcome to voice my opinion about the article and your reaction. Are you just entering college now? That is what I would infer from your screen name, but of course that could be quite wrong.
    edited June 2014
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
  • wannabefeynmanwannabefeynman 571 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 586 Member
    @fallenchemist‌

Please read my post more clearly.

I said: "It is obvious that the correlation is caused by:
    The obvious relationship between high grades and hard-working habits/intelligence. Hard-working habits/intelligence tend to remain in university which leads to higher paying jobs."

You said: "How can you say there is no correlation between high school GPA and income? "

When I said "It is obvious that the correlation is caused by:" it means I know that there is a correlation, just not for certain reasons.
    · Reply · Share
  • GrantstudentGrantstudent 95 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    there maybe a weak correlation. but the article, and the op assumptions are flawed. it depends if you are taking hard or easy casses. and depends if you go to college and choose a major, that requires alot of hard classes like sciences, as opposed to computer programming, it, which have a high income for a bs.
    · Reply · Share
  • comfortablycurtcomfortablycurt 2146 replies36 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,182 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    I don't think this is really a sensible claim to make. Obviously if they're comparing the 4.0 students to the 3.0 students...more of the 4.0 students are likely to go to college. Many of these 4.0 students continue to do well in college, and graduate from college. Some of them don't. The ones that graduate fall into the income bracket known as "college graduate" while the ones that didn't graduate end up falling into the bracket known as "high school graduate." Clearly, a college degree tends to increase lifetime earnings.

Now if we're comparing students that graduated from high school, -but- never graduated from college, we'd have a more sensible comparison. I highly doubt that there would be any kind of significantly discernible distinction in the lifetime earnings of students that graduate from high school with a 4.0 versus the ones that graduated high school with a 3.0.

What about the 4.0 students that DON'T go to college, and the many 2.0-3.0 students that DO go to college? Now we're saying that the 4.0 students are going to earn both less and more than the students with lower high school GPA. I think this is a prime example of defining the parameters in such a way that the findings fall in line with a desired conclusion. I really don't think that anything truly meaningful can be drawn from this.
    edited February 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • Alucard43Alucard43 132 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    What about college GPAs?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity