Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

9 Worst Items to Put on Your Resume

Replies to: 9 Worst Items to Put on Your Resume

• DiscipulusBonusDiscipulusBonus Registered User Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    @MITer94: Just curious, but what are your favorite resume templates?
  • MITer94MITer94 Registered User Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    @DiscipulusBonus here are some good templates:
    http://www.rpi.edu/dept/arc/training/latex/resumes/

Mine is pretty similar to 9a, although the section headings use \hrulefill to better separate the sections.
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    many people aged 50 and up are incapable of effectively using Microsoft software

lol. Only the ones who don't work in an office. The rest of us have been upgrading our software skills every year since 1982.

As a professor, I'm more likely to run into college students who are clueless about office software. E.g., they can't format a header, can't paste a URL into a document as plain text, can't figure out how to un-center a block of text, don't understand that the 6pts of space after a paragraph can be changed, etc. And that's just Word . . .
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd ignore Huff post blog 'articles'. The blog posts are of uneven quality and not worth the link. Thise are usually not written by professionals, writers or reporters. I also dislike the 5 this, and 10 that headers, and as you see it doesn't work well here being so subjective and the advice here is of dubious quality and not consistent importance.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,349 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    wrong thread
  • MillancadMillancad Registered User Posts: 5,941 Senior Member
    I'm probably better at LaTeX these days than I am at Microsoft Word... and I'm still not very good at LaTeX! But I I started using LaTeX for my sophomore year and loved it, eventually writing presentations and class notes with it as well. It felt right to LaTeX my resume.
  • GaussianIntegerGaussianInteger Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    It's more the exception rather than the rule, but I believe significant high school awards definitely belong on a résumé. If you won the USAMO or ISTS, made one of the olympiad camps, or did significant research in high school (like RSI), you have demonstrated exceptional skill that doesn't disappear just because you went to college. Of course, hopefully you would keep up this kind of performance in college in ways that you could show an employer, but there aren't nearly as many significant competitions in college.
  • baktraxbaktrax Registered User Posts: 2,563 Senior Member
    It's more the exception rather than the rule, but I believe significant high school awards definitely belong on a résumé. If you won the USAMO or ISTS, made one of the olympiad camps, or did significant research in high school (like RSI), you have demonstrated exceptional skill that doesn't disappear just because you went to college. Of course, hopefully you would keep up this kind of performance in college in ways that you could show an employer, but there aren't nearly as many significant competitions in college.

My feeling about this is that you should have kept up this sort of performance in college for it to be really meaningful, or else, it's just something you did four years ago but haven't done anything related since. If you have nothing else to put and need to take up space, then that's fine, put it on. But a resume has limited space and accomplishments in high school should really be dropped at some point for (hopefully) better and more recent accomplishments. If you did research in high school, that's great, but if you haven't done any in the four years during college, then the fact that you did research in high school is going to mean very little to future employers or grad school. If you have room for it, sure you can put it, but hopefully, you'll have had more recent and significant research experience that you can replace it with. If it's on a CV, then maybe you can include it because you have more room. But really, at some point, it becomes less relevant or impressive. I don't care what you did in high school. I care what you can do now.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,596 Senior Member
    It's more the exception rather than the rule, but I believe significant high school awards definitely belong on a résumé.

For high school stuff, "significant" would have a much higher threshold for a resume of a college student than a high school student. Perhaps only if it has a direct relation to the job being sought, or is something that connects with continued achievements in college, would it be significant enough.
  • jdjuniorjdjunior Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    No one wants to deal with a long resume, especially when the details are irrelevant. I think it's really important to cater your resume to the job you are applying to and because of that every resume you submit should be different. In my experience, the easiest way to do this is to use the job description posted, which gives you everything to include. A lot of big companies that receive hundreds or even thousands of applications for each job opening will use a computer program to screen resumes and including key terms from the job posting can help you get through this initial screening process.
  • JobblyCoJobblyCo Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    The most common thing here (not just for the resume, but also for the recruitment process overall, is to show the employer what a) value you bring to the company and b) why you want to work for the company (not only does the company get a motivated and passionate employee; recruitment processes are expensive). This does not just apply to full time recruitment but to intern recruitment as well - interns are hired bcs they seem like fit candidates for the future (and internships are a cost-effective way to test them).

I don't agree with that an applicant should over analyze use of wording bcs of a risk of being 'over sophisticated'. Let your personality shine and if you normally use a lot of 'over-sophisticated' words, it really doesn't make sense to hide your personality.
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Registered User Posts: 772 Member
    I'm not totally sure I agree with the "no stuff from high school" advice. I mean yes, obviously nobody cares which clubs you were a member of, but if you have truly impressive accomplishments from your high school years, I think you can get away with listing them well into college and beyond. For example, if you were the valedictorian of your high school, I think it's fair game to put it on your resume. Same with National AP Scholar or IB Diploma Recipient.
  • BronzethekingBronzetheking Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    number 7 is still applicable today. my dad which is 50 years old, knows only few things on microsoft word.
  • comfortablycurtcomfortablycurt Registered User Posts: 2,182 Senior Member
    I can agree with some of these, but definitely not all. As others have already mentioned, many job descriptions specifically mention proficiency with Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. Not everyone is completely proficient with it. I work at the tutoring center at my community college, and we have plenty of older students coming in for help mainly because they're unfamiliar with computers in general, and need help learning the basics of using a computer. With the prevalence of online components in so many classes these days, technology has become an additional barrier that a lot of students have to get through. There are plenty of younger students that struggle with all of it too. I think proficiency in Office is worth mentioning, but it should not be at the top of ones list of skills by any means. It also depends on the job. Proficiency with Office is completely irrelevant for many jobs.

I can agree with a lot of these points. It's really easy to write a resume or CV with incredibly dry, generic, and repetitive language. With some careful language, it's easy to make any job or experience sound more impressive than it may have actually been.

• surfer2attorneysurfer2attorney Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I think the last line about interests is not necessary for any resume. That's something you would mention in a cover letter. i.e. sports marketing job -- i'm a marketing major with x experience and I am also very passionate about sports from my years as a soccer coach.
This discussion has been closed.