Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do college graduates find jobs that they like, or at least in their field of interest?

ktsai91ktsai91 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
Hello all, I graduated from college last May with a B.S. in Aviation Administration degree and also have an A.S. in Business Administration degree. I found employment with an air cargo company at a major airport but it was only a summer job and I also worked at the same place the summer before I graduated. I am now struggling to find a job in airport operations because I am very interested in working at an airport and aviation is what I studied in the last 2.5 years of college (other 2.5 years being business).

I am beginning to feel frustrated that I cannot find a job that I am looking for and that I would love to do.

Is it true that college graduates these days do not find jobs that they like or that is not what they studied in college? I am beginning to think that is true.

Replies to: Do college graduates find jobs that they like, or at least in their field of interest?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,141 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    For pre professional majors, it depends on the labor market demand for graduates of those majors relative to the number of graduates in those majors and any substitutes.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    The airline industry has undergone dramatic consolidation. While worldwide demand for pilots is growing, fewer companies overall mean the need for fewer administrators. I have NWA administration friends who lost their jobs when DAL merged w them. No doubt the same happened w the UAL + Continental merger and will happen w the American + US Airways merger.

FYI
    http://www.iata.org/publications/economics/market-issues/Pages/consolidation.aspx

• ktsai91ktsai91 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the responses so far. GMTplus7, thanks for the statement and the link. I am trying to look for a career in airport operations or airport management, and it is tough to get a job in that field, because I learned that there are fewer jobs available in airport management per airport or airport authority, and the turnover rate for airport management personnel is very low, which means that a position rarely opens up, unless one of the personnel quits or gets promoted within the airport.
This discussion has been closed.