Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Putting AP scores on an internship resume?

MynaaaMynaaa Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
Hi all!

I was wondering if it makes sense to put AP scores on a resume for college internships.

I thought maybe the 5 on two AP Eng exams would show good writing skills, and I don't have much of a work history as a college sophomore (besides a TON of volunteering) so I thought it might help make up for that. But I'm also worried it comes off as pretentious.

What do you think?

Replies to: Putting AP scores on an internship resume?

• screen8888screen8888 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure if AP scores would come off as pretentious but I believe that they would consume valuable space on the resume that could be used otherwise. Buy using them on the resume, you are essentially using the number of words of text traditionally used to put in one's school, GPA, and major--essentially the entire summary of one's educational history--to summarize your performance in a single course. As your experiences grow, this will be a problem and such scores should be the first to be eliminated if you need to slash the resume's length. I came in with a lot of AP/IB credits, so instead of listing all 19 exam scores or the 11 exams with top scores on the scale, I just put the total number of credits I came in with. That number of credits may be able to impress employers without using an excessive number of words.
    Furthermore, depending on your job, it is likely that writing for AP English exams will be very different from the tasks you'll be working with. Those exams are in a timed setting and are focused on persuasion. Jobs in international relations, public policy, or business may demand more analytical writing--writing that is focused on fully understanding the facts of a situation, rather than pushing for an ideological perspective. Actual research-oriented writing requiring individuals to seek out sources and analyze them will be given far more weight than AP exams where no outside sources are permitted. And employers may not view AP English exams as a particularly rigorous or valid form of measurement in any case, due to perceptions on CB's standardized testing and the available alternative methods for evaluations (e.g. writing samples). If employers want to take a look at your writing ability enough so that it would be a consideration of comparable significance to your resume, they would request a writing sample so they can see for themselves how well you write. Otherwise, employers may look at writing intensive job experiences to analyze the consistency and productivity of your writing intensive experiences.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/internships-careers-employment/1755813-what-to-major-in-for-poli-sci-public-policy-or-international-relations-jobs.html#latest
  • MynaaaMynaaa Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Thank you for the advice! I didn't think about that, I removed the AP scores : )
This discussion has been closed.