Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BA in Economics

CeethompsonCeethompson Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
Can I get a good paying career with a BA in economics?

Replies to: BA in Economics

• econcalceconcalc Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Difficult question. Overall, I think who you know always makes a difference in your life, but Economics is a very broad subject, not to mention the very broad job opportunities. You can become an actuary, financial analyst, high school teacher, go to grad school, do something on Wall Street (if you're lucky), you name it.

Finally, a "good paying career" doesn't make sense to me. You build your own career as you gain more experience on the job.
  • NoteworthyNoteworthy Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    As @econcalc said, there's a wide variety of job opportunities you can do with an economics degree. It really depends on where you go to school, what your gpa is, relevant work experience, etc. So to answer your question, you "can". Now to more realistically answer your question, it requires you to define what you consider "good paying", time-span, and if you mean salary wise or hourly wise.

Just to give you a general answer though; according to Payscale - Highest Paying Undergraduate Degrees.
    Economics is the #52 highest paying out of 202 degrees. With a median starting salary of $48,000 and mid-life median salary of $83,400.

This is across the US so if you live in a city where the cost of living is higher than other places you can assume it would be a higher salary, same with if the cost of living is lower than the average for the country you could expect a lower salary.
  • uofiapplicantuofiapplicant Registered User Posts: 194 Junior Member
    Economics is actually listed at #19 with a $51,400 starting salary and a $97,700 mid-career salary. I think banking is a good route. I had a banking internship going into my third year of econ at a Big Ten school and I'm looking to get into the industry when I graduate next year.
  • NoteworthyNoteworthy Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    Yea @uofiapplicant is right, I was looking at business economics but everything else I believe is accurate.
This discussion has been closed.