right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Path to become a Management Consultant

What should I need to major in in college to get into a management consulting job?
I have seen statistics that some Management Consulting firms hire majors not in Econ, but in the Humanities.

I first thought about doing Public Policy Analysis with a Global Health concentration. But now, I've been thinking of doing a major in International Relations or Public Policy Analysis with a concentration in Econ with a minor in Math or Econ.

What do you guys recommend?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Path to become a Management Consultant

• jjwinklejjwinkle 478 replies6 threads Member
    I looked at 5 job openings (randomly selected) that came up when I searched Indeed.com for "Management Consulting firm entry level." Three required a bachelor's degree without specifying a field (with one of them saying "Graduate degree in Business, Industrial / Organizational psychology, Human Resources, Organizational behavior, or related psychology field preferred"). One said bachelor's in a STEM field and one said, "Bachelors degree or equivalent in business, management information systems, human resources management, benefits administration or related field; Masters degree a plus." What does this small data set suggest? People are accepted with a wide array of majors, but business, psychology and human resources seem particularly desired. In some (STEM) industries a STEM degree may be desired.

http://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/ (choose the Non-STEM Majors tab and hold your mouse over the Business and financial occupational group) shows most people in that field having majored in business.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheEssayGuyTheEssayGuy 79 replies2 threads Junior Member
    jwinkle's right about a variety of majors being accepted. But only from top schools. The biggest question is this: where do you go to school?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheEssayGuyTheEssayGuy 79 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Stick with the math minor. It'll help a lot.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity