Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Path to become a Management Consultant

PartyNextDoorPartyNextDoor Registered User Posts: 531 Member
What should I need to major in in college to get into a management consulting job?
I have seen statistics that some Management Consulting firms hire majors not in Econ, but in the Humanities.

I first thought about doing Public Policy Analysis with a Global Health concentration. But now, I've been thinking of doing a major in International Relations or Public Policy Analysis with a concentration in Econ with a minor in Math or Econ.

What do you guys recommend?

Replies to: Path to become a Management Consultant

• jjwinklejjwinkle Registered User Posts: 484 Member
    I looked at 5 job openings (randomly selected) that came up when I searched Indeed.com for "Management Consulting firm entry level." Three required a bachelor's degree without specifying a field (with one of them saying "Graduate degree in Business, Industrial / Organizational psychology, Human Resources, Organizational behavior, or related psychology field preferred"). One said bachelor's in a STEM field and one said, "Bachelors degree or equivalent in business, management information systems, human resources management, benefits administration or related field; Masters degree a plus." What does this small data set suggest? People are accepted with a wide array of majors, but business, psychology and human resources seem particularly desired. In some (STEM) industries a STEM degree may be desired.

http://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/ (choose the Non-STEM Majors tab and hold your mouse over the Business and financial occupational group) shows most people in that field having majored in business.
  • TheEssayGuyTheEssayGuy Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    jwinkle's right about a variety of majors being accepted. But only from top schools. The biggest question is this: where do you go to school?
  • TheEssayGuyTheEssayGuy Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Stick with the math minor. It'll help a lot.
This discussion has been closed.