Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Investment/Law Internships for High School

tigerman333tigerman333 Registered User Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
I am a current junior and I am interested in the fields of law/investment & finance/political science. I wish to get an internship this summer to learn more about these fields (and make a little money). Does anybody know how to go about finding/asking about opportunities? I live near Chicago but don't want to travel too far. I've also looked at interning for congressmen/senators but they only accept college students.

Replies to: Investment/Law Internships for High School

• NoteworthyNoteworthy Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    The two fields you are interested in; are extremely competitive just between college students so you may need to lower your standards somewhat to maybe; smaller investment firms and more local political offices like city council or mayor.

1. Many times internships are meant as "testing" periods for potential upcoming graduates candidates for that job to see if they will be a good fit. This disqualifies you because you are not an upcoming college graduate.
    2. Many times internships only pay when you are providing them with a service, not just them educating you, rarely do HS students have a strong enough foundation in a field to be able to provide a service.
    3. Political science is all about relationships and knowing the right people, therefore every smart political science student knows they MUST get some type of political connection before they graduate.
    4. Investment is one of the most competitive yet most financially rewarding occupations therefore everyone interested in this field needs some type of internship to even be considered by most investment firms for jobs.
  • tigerman333tigerman333 Registered User Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    @Noteworthy Thanks for the info. Any suggestions as to how to find people to intern for?
  • retractionretraction Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Just call some PWM firms around your area and ask them if you can make coffee for a couple weeks.
  • tigerman333tigerman333 Registered User Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    @retraction What do you mean by PWM?
  • retractionretraction Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    private wealth management.
This discussion has been closed.