Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

What are some careers that meet these criteria?

jabberjay79jabberjay79 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
My freshman year in undergrad is coming to an end and I really feel pressured to decide what career field I want to go into!!! I would appreciate a job where I could interact with people on a regular basis. I would also like to be on my feet or at least kept busy as much as possible. (Right now I have a very solitary desk job and I HATE it) I want to work in an environment that is fast paced. Preferably with decent upward mobility, I don't mind being in a competitive environment either. I prefer not to have to think on my feet or make spur of the moment decisions - I like to have things planned out beforehand so I can be as well prepared as possible. I learn really fast, I'm a very good writer, and while it doesn't thrill me I'm not terrified of public speaking. I think I would get the most out of a job where I'm helping people in some sort of way...any idea what careers would fit me?

Just in case you didn't feel like reading that entire paragraph:

My strengths:
- Great at planning/organization
- Am a fast learner
- Excellent writing skills
- Not afraid of public speaking
- Prefer to work as part of a team, but can function well alone
- Love helping people

My weaknesses:
- Not that great at thinking on my feet
- Bored easily
- Bad at making fast decisions
- Bad with numbers and data
- Very bad at dealing with emergency situations

What I would like in my career:
- Lots of interaction with people
- Fast paced environment with little monotony
- At least some upward mobility
- Responsibilities that would require me to be on my feet/on the go most of the time
- Doesn't have to be a 9 to 5 job, but I'd like to be able to spend a reasonable amount of time with family

Replies to: What are some careers that meet these criteria?

• CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN Registered User Posts: 2,508 Senior Member
    Journalism? Public relations, advertising, or marketing?
  • chriswchrisw Registered User Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    A little off the wall, but restaurant management? There are some large organizations - not chains, but restaurant groups - that offer a lot of upward mobility; I interviewed with Hillstone Restaurant Group and wound up going a different direction (technology consulting... pretty far in a different direction!), but had I gotten and accepted that job, it would have checked off just about all of the boxes on your list.

As a restaurant manager, you are responsible for the front-of-house and back-of-house operations of the restaurant. You do a fair amount of schmoozing with customers, and you keep a pulse on your staff to ensure that the operation is humming along smoothly. When things go awry, you jump in and get your hands dirty. You may spend some time at a desk - planning schedules, running numbers, etc - but during service hours, you are on the go, running around consistently. It isn't a glamorous job, and it has a high turnover rate - your nights and weekends are all spent working - but it can lead to other jobs in the hospitality industry. Oh, and it pays great.

Another option is insurance adjusting. You would spend a lot of time investigating and observing claims in order to determine the adequate amount to pay out to a claimant. Numbers and figures are important, but there are programs to simplify that. The real key to the job is identifying what is salvageable, what is replaceable, and what is a total loss. You could also get into public adjusting, which would have you represent clients as they file claims with their insurance companies.

I have to give a plug for management consulting. Assuming you are on the management and strategy side of the house, you will spend a lot of time engaging with clients and teams. While that will not have you on your feet and is a "9-5" (though 9-5 is hilariously short), you will spend relatively little time sitting behind a desk, if you find the right role and company.
This discussion has been closed.