Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Prestigious Gap Year Programs

IndianSupermanIndianSuperman Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
Hi, I am a high school senior looking to participate in a gap year program after high school. I was wondering what the top programs were, and if there were any internship ones at startups or companies. Thanks

Replies to: Prestigious Gap Year Programs

• ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    Which ones interest you?
  • IndianSupermanIndianSuperman Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Uncollege seemed interesting, but I don't know enough about gap year programs to know which ones are worth it.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,106 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    The most common kind of gap year(s) between high school and college involve working some sort of paid job. As a high school graduate, it is rather unlikely to have a prestigious one. Some exceptional ones do something exceptional (e.g. write a phone app that becomes popular or something), but that is not typical.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    In all of these things, staying closest to what's true usually works out the best. What are you actually, genuinely, interested in? If you are fortunate enough to have a year to do anything you want- to follow any interest, and actually put some serious time and effort into seeing how far you can go with it- what would it be? start there.

If you are planning to get accepted to a college then defer starting for a year it could be related to the area you are planning to study, or something that right now doesn't even look related (it's funny how things link up in hindsight though!). I've seen people

If you are not planning to apply to college until next autumn your use of your gap year will speak to adcoms about who you are as a student. You might make exactly the same choice, but it will be important to be able to articulate clearly why you chose this path, what your goals for the year are, and how it all fits into the larger story of you.

I know you wanted suggestions of good programs, but there are thousands -from ones like Americorps that will give you a little stipend, to ones that will charge you $20K. Not to mention the ones that people create for themselves.
This discussion has been closed.