Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A bid to show which colleges are worth the money reveals some surprises

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,676 Senior Member
"The Topic: What college programs are worth the money --

Why It Matters: New figures show that some graduates of public colleges and universities make near-poverty wages." ...

http://hechingerreport.org/bid-show-colleges-worth-money-reveals-surprises/

Replies to: A bid to show which colleges are worth the money reveals some surprises

• chriswchrisw Registered User Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    Interesting article - I hadn't heard of the gainful employment rule, but it seems potentially dangerous if definitions are not clear. I'm thinking of instances where someone studies a "bridge" discipline - something that they went into with the explicit intention of continuing their education. For example, maybe I want to get an associate's degree in a low-paying nursing discipline because I want a lower cost option for my first two years, even though my ultimate goal is to get a BSN. Would this rule potentially restrict funding for the Associate's Degree, or is it nuanced enough to recognize the purpose of that phase of education?

Different possibility - I get a Fine Arts degree from a four-year university because I am interested in arts law and intend to go to law school within a year of graduating. That could be a double-whammy - if people get a certain degree with the intent of pursuing a terminal degree later on, they could drive already-low wages even lower, since they are more willing to accept low pay for 6-12 months, knowing they will just move on.
This discussion has been closed.