Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Google BOLD Internship 2019

Replies to: Google BOLD Internship 2019

• 2016_ha_ha2016_ha_ha Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Waitlisted even if you haven't interviewed yet??
  • juliar95juliar95 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Yeah, I thought it was super weird because I haven't interviewed yet either and I thought they would at least do that to see if we were good candidates, but nope. I'm assuming it'll be a rejection, but I guess there's still a tiny chance.
  • Freshsince96Freshsince96 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Lets meet, I accepted with another big tech company
  • HeadsInTheCloudsHeadsInTheClouds Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    You'll interview 😂, even if you're on the waitlist. They aren't just gonna give you the internship.
  • chy2897chy2897 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm sure "waitlist" just means on a waitlist to interview if people don't accept. I'm sure no one assumed that they would just get the internship.
  • BladeHunterBladeHunter Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    edited April 15
    @chy2897 But wouldn't it make more sense to just give it to someone else who already interviewed for the position if the first choice turns it down? It seems like a lot of extra work to go back into the pool and interview an entirely different set of people.

My best guess right now is that they're still going through the applications and seeing if there might still be some diamonds in the rough left. No one from Google has viewed my LinkedIn since Jan. and that was around the same time that a kid at my school apparently got in. Regardless, the chances now of getting an interview are probably pretty slim as I'm sure that they're coming to the end of their search.

Also, is it just me, or is this "waitlist" that we're all apparently on seem kinda big? I think I've only seen 2-3 people on here who got outright rejected without an interview, so I'm assuming the rest of us who haven't accepted other offers yet are all on this waitlist...
    edited April 15
    @BladeHunter you’re right. In a logical world, it would make sense to give the next person the internship. But, because Google judges a candidate on leadership potential, cognitive ability, role experience and Googleyness, if a candidate doesn’t pass the interview stage, it’s because they didn’t have one of these attributes. Thus, leading them to start the search over again. Google will only take their first choice and hell, the company has enough prestige to be able to do that.

Though, this does not mean that if you were rejected before you’ll always be rejected, it just means maybe you weren’t the best fit for the team that interviewed you.
  • BladeHunterBladeHunter Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    @HeadsInTheClouds Thanks for the info! I guess that gives me a little more hope of possibly still getting an interview lol.
    Also, I'm curious, you said that generally when someone is rejected, it's because they're lacking in one of the core attributes that Google's looking for. But what happens when two potential candidates imbue all of these characteristics, but the team they're interviewing for only wants one intern? Will the second candidate just get unlucky and get rejected for that summer even though they probably would have been able to get onto another team?
  • cmbyn1cmbyn1 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Honestly, I just hope they send us a rejection at the end of this month. I hate it when orgs don't send rejections, and clearly they've been doing that thus far. I also assume they sent out a mass rejection to everyone who didn't get the supplemental back in the fall, so I hope they extend us that same courtesy
    Sucks that no one will be posting in the group again. :/ thanks for all your help guys! Enjoy your summer, it’s gonna be amazing!
  • austincodeaustincode Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    So is it over? With no rejection letters?
  • dowzerwdowzerw Registered User Posts: 2,499 Senior Member
    Not a very good way to do business.
  • EarlGrey1EarlGrey1 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I bet they'll send a rejection letter soon.
  • cmbyn1cmbyn1 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I got a rejection when I applied to the Immersion program as a sophomore. It was clearly automated but I was happy to have a bookend to the experience. It's a sucks they haven't sent one for this.
  • LilianaCSLilianaCS Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Got my rejection today around 7pm EST. Glad I finally got the email, hahah. Gratz and good luck to everyone that made it!!! Hopefully we'll meet another time in the future :blush: