right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Need help making a life decision

Austin_TAustin_T 0 replies1 threads New Member
So I'm going to be a junior this year and I need to start making a decision on what I'm going to do as a career and I have thought about getting into welding, but I'm not sure if welding is a good career to get in to.
edited July 2019
6 replies
Post edited by vonlost on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Need help making a life decision

• CheeringsectionCheeringsection 2764 replies83 threads Senior Member
    Welding is in high demand in the Midwest. Check into training g programs in your area and they should have some employment stats to share. There are waiting lists here for the training programs because the job market is so good. Best of luck to you!
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2255 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Is there a way you could spend a couple of days with a welder to learn about the job firsthand and ask questions to someone who is a professional welder? Welding is a great career.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1784 replies2 threads Senior Member
    A friend of my S17 went that route. He's already done with his training and has been employed for quite some time. He's making a very nice living.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving 766 replies7 threads Member
    You will want to work towards certification by the American Welding Society- AWS.org
    Trade schools, large welding supply stores, and local unions (pipefitters).
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1124 replies7 threads Senior Member
    My local community college has a welding program.
    http://sites.austincc.edu/welding/
    Check your community college.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7948 replies160 threads Senior Member
    Most kids aren't sure. All you can do is gather all the info you can find, and go with your gut. I love EmpireApple's suggestion of spending some quality time with a welder.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity