Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internship Summer Housing in NYC

jtrain351209jtrain351209 Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
So I have an internship in NYC this summer, unfortuntaely the company does not provide housing for interns. Does anyone know of a website that I can find cheap housing in NYC for about a month?
Post edited by jtrain351209 on

Replies to: Internship Summer Housing in NYC

• mattistotlemattistotle Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    how cheap? nyu has housing, but its fairly expensive if your not taking classes there.
  • BSD24BSD24 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    and I believe the deadline has passed for nyu summer housing.

FYI manhattan is not cheap, so finding a furnished place to sublet for the summer will be really difficult if not impossible. You should look into summer rentals outside of the city--places like queens, brooklyn, hoboken etc. You will probably have to sublet from someone, and doing so as an intern is not easy. Maybe find a no fee real estate agent and see if they can help you out.
  • sacsac Registered User Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    you might try Columbia housing.
    also, obviously, Craigslist. I'd ask the company for suggestions, since they must have other summer interns in a similar situation.
  • mattistotlemattistotle Registered User Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    NYU always has open rooms, i think you can sign up whenever
  • dearsiryesdearsiryes Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    To the OP, I also have an internship set up for this summer in NYC, I'm checking out these two options:

1)Columbia Housing: $2100-2300; good, safe housing with all amenities+gym membership and access to Columbia events and such for the duration of stay.

2)The International House: $700-1100; smaller rooms (relatively), negligible per day meal charge, good atmosphere of students, farther away from downtown (7 miles from Park Ave and E.34).

But, NYU is NO LONGER accepting housing applications. You should strike fast on those two options I listed.
  • sphere718sphere718 Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    id strongly advise you to not consider NYU or Columbia for summer housing. Their prices are ridiculous

Your best bet is to check out craigslist for the cheapest rates available.

You can also rent a room for as little as $100 per month in the boroughs.

Pace may offer summer housing that will probably be much cheaper than either NYU or Columbia...CUNY-Hunter College located in mid-town probably offer cheaper rates as well.

LIU-Brooklyn may offer cheap housing too, and it is no more than 10 minutes by subway (3 minutes by car) to Manhattan.

I'm not sure if Pratt Institute offers it either, but it's worth checking out.
  • ixjunitxiixjunitxi Registered User Posts: 984 Member
    Also I know FIT ( Fashion Intstitute of Technology) has some fairly nice dorms they rent out as well
  • dpa38d2udpa38d2u Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    sublets.com has some awesome (and cheap) sublets, although you need to pay to contact owner which is stupid.
  • hellohello Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    Anyone aware of the procedure to obtain housing at Columbia for the summer? Its not that bad.
  • nyumomnyumom Registered User Posts: 761 Member
    I just found this link which might be helpful. http://www.studenthousing.org/
  • fourkidsmomfourkidsmom Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    We just got housing at 92nd ST Y, it's temporary housing anything more than 30 days. single rooms are $75 a day, doubles are $50 a day- they house up to 350 students.
  • gibonigiboni Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    New York City Internships Affordable Housing

I stayed here for 1 month. Fast commute to Manhattan 8 minutes. Stunning penthouse.$550 for the month. My own room ! Hope I can reserve early next year LOL.
    bob
  • PBPMOM3PBPMOM3 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Where did you stay?
This discussion has been closed.