Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internship Offers

dearsiryesdearsiryes Registered User Posts: 859 Member
I have received three internship offers, but am waiting to hear back on two that I would REALLY like. One is an internship with the Economist Intelligence Unit and the other is with CNN.

I applied to both in early April (1st). Because I don't want to lose my current offers, of which I think one may be far better for me, how should I approach the waiting for the results. The Economist says that they will notify candidates by (end of April) but that is too far away. So should I just screw those two and take what I have.

After all, I'm only a Freshman. Random question: Is it odd as a freshman to get an internship with a legit, growing firm in NYC?
Post edited by dearsiryes on

Replies to: Internship Offers

  • lkf725lkf725 Registered User Posts: 4,781 Senior Member
    A bird in the hand...

    Usually you only have a short time to accept or decline a position. Did they tell you when they need your answer? You'd hate to lose that offer. You know the Economist job won't tell you until the end of April. You could ask your CNN contact about the status of the internship position. They will either tell you when the decision will be made or else they will tell you that the position has been filled.

    Congrats on getting (at least) one internship!
  • pebblespebbles Registered User Posts: 2,617 Senior Member
    What do you mean by "odd"? It's not sketchy or anything, but on the other hand if you are wondering if many freshmen get internships or if you are really something special, it's generally hard for freshmen to get internships at desireable places... it's usually sophomores and up. But on the other hand I know plenty of freshmen who have, so it's not impossible. Congrats anyways :)

    And on the waiting thing... yeah, actually I ran into the same moral dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I was waiting on an internship that I was unlikely to get and I was sitting on three very nice and attractive offers. I felt bad since they were all very very nice people who offered me jobs and needed to hear back from me so that they could interview other people if the answer was no. So one morning, I woke up and I said okay, today's the day, I'm gonna accept Offer #2. I checked my email and I was informed that I'd gotten that thing that was really unlikely. I was pretty thrilled. On the how long to wait, I don't know... since I waited exactly long enough, it's kinda a weird call. But DEFINITELY definitely do not brush off these offers. Keep in touch with them and let them know that you are STILL interested even though you'd like very much to have a week or so more to think about it
  • lkf725lkf725 Registered User Posts: 4,781 Senior Member
    Keep in mind, though, that you already interviewed at these places and told them how much you'd like to work there. They certainly know that beyond a few days, you are leaving them hanging while you wait for something else. If you make them wait too long, it may affect the way they look at you if you ultimately go there.
  • dearsiryesdearsiryes Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    Good call you guys. Since I am a freshman, and the CNN and EIU internships I am waiting on are both unpaid and intended for upperclassmen, I decided to accept one of the previously extended offers.

    Now, my problem is securing housing in the NYC area. Does anyone have experience with subletting using Craigslist? Did your parents object? And what do you do for food in NYC-I really don't want to go out everyday.
  • shanntotheontshanntotheont Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    I know you probably want to live in an apartment, but remember you can always stay at NYU for the summer
  • dearsiryesdearsiryes Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    Yah, except that the NYU deadline passed on March 30th or April 15th, one or the other (both were after I gained my offers).

    So, I really don't want to stay in Columbia which is 2300 a term. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • pebblespebbles Registered User Posts: 2,617 Senior Member
    contact the company you are interning for. they should at least have some advice.
This discussion has been closed.