Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What jobs can you get straight out of college with a finance degree?

nybriannybrian Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
that includes having no contacts, or ready business clients
Post edited by nybrian on

Replies to: What jobs can you get straight out of college with a finance degree?

• maxellismaxellis Registered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    If your resume is good, you can send it out to 100 different investment banks and hope you get 5 interviews.

You could become a financial analyst.

You could manage money.

You could advise people on how to invest their money.

You could be a commercial banker and sell mortgages.
  • nybriannybrian Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    thanks, let me just rephrase me question. What kind of job can you get straight out of college with a degree in finance when you got an associates at a CC, and then finished up in baruch.
  • AltemaAltema Registered User Posts: 1,082 Senior Member
    Answer really depends on you and how well recruited your school is. That's your biggest "in," if you have no contacts.
  • commentcommentcommentcomment Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    if you have no contact, do you have any experience? how are your grades? have you worked during the summer? have you utilized your career center in baruch? it all depends but ultimately if you are asking what your chances are, chances are your chances of finding a job is slim. you need to go meet people, go talk to recruiters, go to workshops, improve your resume, improve your contact list, and intern somewhere
  • JPNguyenJPNguyen Registered User Posts: 710 Member
    financial positions usually hire through summer internships. unless you've got some internship experience. with a degree from baruch, you are definitely overshadowed by the nyu/columbia grads. And in this tough market, i've met a ton of people who've done an extra quarter to net an internship in the city. I turned down my internship because I wanted to get an offer. I did get one but it was taken back. Sucks doesn't it?

If you're looking for a finance position.... there aren't any, if there were any decent ones, i'd be breaking your legs for it. No offense but this is the worst time to graduate.
  • BigMike3541BigMike3541 Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    Ya, finance firms basically have their pick of Harvard/MIT/Stanford/Wharton students that don't have jobs yet.
  • commentcommentcommentcomment Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    I spoke with a few friends who attend Baruch and they said there are specific internships that only hire and offer Baruch students internships. Speak to your career counselors at Baruch and see how that goes.
This discussion has been closed.